This story could be potentially embarrassing but I figured I'd rather save myself some time and blog about it than have to tell a bunch of people via text message or phone call.
Yesterday was a really good day. I went shopping with my mom, Jamie and Regan and just hung out watching TV for the rest of the day/night. Really relaxing. I went to bed feeling fine and decided to sleep on the side of the bed next to the wall just incase mom needed to get up in the middle of the night (since she is here for the weekend she slept in my big girl bed with me.) I remember waking up to my mom shutting the window at 3:00... I was having a really scary dream involving the girl from the grudge and some of my friends (weird). When I woke up I started to have a sharp pain in my stomach. I thought.. "Oh.. maybe I just have to go to the bathroom" (embarrasing, I know) But that wasn't the issue. The pain was super sharp and was right above my belly button. I decided to get in bed and try to fall asleep thinking it would just get better but it didn't. In fact, it only got worse. I couldn't sleep, it hurt to breathe and I was terribly uncomfortable. I know it's nothing like having a baby but it was the worst pain I had ever felt. I started to feel like I was going to throw up but nothing would come. By this time it was almost 4:30; I was miserable. I got onto Webmd and it said that appendicitis pain sometime starts above the navel. It also talked about vomiting, fever..ect.. I was trying to convince myself that I was fine and that it would get better and that it was just gas or something but it wasn't... we all know what that feels like. I'll admit that I was crying, hunched over and in a LOT of pain and I wasn't going to risk my appendix bursting or something..
Good thing mom was here because I don't know what I would have done. Probably cut out my own stomach (because at the time I thought that would feel better)..But my mom got up and took me to the Davis County E.R. The pain continually got worse and I felt like I was going to throw up even more than before. Well, good thing they see patients according to severity because I wasn't the only one there at 5 in the morning and the pain got worse at the hospital (but I think hospitals will just do that to you) But they slapped a bracelet on my arm and got me in.

They checked my vitals, got me into the nasty tie up hospital gowns that are actually kind of comfortable, and started to get an IV going (i'm such a pro at the whole needle thing it's kind of sickening). At this point I'm breathing hard (moaning my mom would say), I'm hunched over trying to cope with the pain and trying not to cry. Then I felt it....the puke was coming. The nurse was busy finishing my IV and drawing blood so he asked my mom to grab a puke bucket in the cupboard. Then we all went into panic mode. I yelled "HURRY!!!" to my mom and she grabbed the first thing he saw, placed it on my lap and up it came. I felt to yucky and bad to notice that my mom had placed a bed pan on my lap. To make it better my mom, in a really nice voice was like "ohh.. you look like you have rabies.. it's all foamy and bubbly." HA. thanks?
Well, I didn't feel better after I spewed like I usually do. In fact it was worse. That's when the lovely man nurse came in and gave me a huge shot of Demerol into my IV to help with the pain. Well yeah, it wasn't really working... Maybe I didn't give it enough time but I was in too much pain. Then came another shot. I think it was morphine that time. And well, that did it. After 15 minutes, I wasn't breathing as hard, the pain was pretty much gone and I was comfortable enough to sleep.
The doctor came in and told me that my blood work looked great but he was concerned that I may have some issues with my gall bladder. So I got to ride in a wheel chair and have an ultra sound. As if my chubby self didn't already feel like I was pregnant..add some stomach pains, pain medication an ULTRA SOUND? oh boy.
Well, the ultra sound was an experience. The gel wasn't cold like I'd imagined it would be and it kind of felt like a massage on my stomach.. except the tech lady scared me a little. I mean, we were in a dark room, I was in my underoos, she was rubbing my tummy and didn't say much. It was weird.
I know it's a long story but the doctor came in and said that the ultra sound looked OK. They didn't find anything wrong with my gall bladder. He said that it was most likely a spasm in my stomach. REALLY DOC? This was the worse pain i've ever felt. I then went on to ask him what I should do if it happens again and he proceeded to tell me "Ibuprofen." I was so mad. I mean, I didn't want anything to be wrong with me that would require surgery but I felt stupid because there was nothing to be done about it. But like my mom said, I wouldn't have been able to just let this pain go.. it was AWFUL.. and I was throwing up.. SO I guess at least we now know that I don't have gall bladder problems and that my blood work was good.
The doctor did tell me that if it comes back and it's just as bad that we will have to do a CT scan to figure it out. But for now it was a spasm. We ended up leaving the E.R about 8 and I slept like a baby until about 1..that medicine will do it I guess. I still kind of have an upset stomach but no more really sharp pains...thank goodness.
What an experience.
3 comments:
sounds like quite the experience Jenn :) glad you are doing better.
Yikes--I hope you don't have any more episodes... lol, and yes, it sounded a lot like pregnancy stuff! :) Hope you feel better and watch out for those doctors! Hopefully Jake is a little better at helping people out. IBprofen--please!! Poor girl!
glad you are feeling better! Love your mom's rabies comment! I can so picture that!
Post a Comment