Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

"Don't Sweat the Small Stuff"

About a year and a half ago, while going through a touch of drama, I decided to pick up the book, "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff...and it's all small stuff" in search for any kind of advice that would help me pull my crazy life together.


Source: None via Katelyn on Pinterest


The book changed the way I looked at a lot of things, helped me feel at peace with my life situation at the time, and to realize that there is no sense in letting the small/dramatic things consume my time.  For the last year and a half, I've done a pretty good job at it, I think.

However, we sometimes lose sight of great lessons we've learned, no matter how big of an impact the lesson had on us when we originally learned it.  I had one of those moments yesterday..big time.  I tried to blame it on the fact that I'd been watching too much reality TV and, although it could have been a contributing factor, I decided that I was just letting the small things waste my time. I seriously sat and thought, "Wait.  This is the old me. This Jenn doesn't waste her time with pointless crap.  She confronts it or brushes it off and she moves on."

I decided it was time to pick up the book again for a little refresh :)

If you haven't read it, the book is an easy read that talks about how we sometimes allow ourselves to get worked up about things that really aren't a big deal and tend to blow things out of proportion.  The short chapters are jammed packed with great advice and strategies to help you have a more relaxing {stress/drama free} life.  Here are some of the chapter titles that I probably should have read yesterday morning before leaving my apartment:

"Choose your battles wisely"
"See the innocence"
"Become more patient"
"Understand Separate Realities"
"Ask yourself the question: Will this matter in a year from now?"

If you want a better overview of the book and the chapters go here

Little things will most definitely come up that will seem like a big deal in the heat of the moment, especially when you over-analyze and get worked up about them {which is super easy to do}. People will come into your life who you don't understand at all. People will start pointless drama.  People will be shady.  People will hurt you {and you will probably hurt people too}.  But at the end of the day, you get to decide how to deal with it and how "BIG" you make it. 

Goal? Don't waste your time.  Clear up or get rid of anything that you have control over that is making your world crazier than it needs to be.  That most likely means confrontation and communication or even just cutting it out of your life.  Just remember,  If it's not worth fixing then it's not worth worrying about...

Ok. Go!