Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Commit This to Memory

Today was a good day.

I think the average person on any given day would associate a "good day" with all of the things they were able to accomplish, with the beautiful weather outside or the people they were able to spend their day with. Well today in Layton, UT the sun was barely shining through the gray clouds. It didn't rain; it didn't snow. It was just--blah.

I briefly left my apartment for a car wash, to grab a couple of groceries and even for a quick jog as the unseen sun was dimming into a starless night.

Nope. My good day had nothing to do with the weather or my social calendar (or lack thereof). It was simply because I was able to revisit some of my favorite memories. Isn't it kind of mind blowing that we are able to do that: to recall moments from even YEARS ago?

Like hearing a song and you can remember an exact moment when that song was playing in the background. You remember exactly what you were doing, the people you were with or the feelings you felt at that exact moment…Or how certain smells trigger memories of people or moments…

The brain is so cool!

Today, I heard from three of all-time favorite guy friends :)

1 just to say "thank you"

1 who is now married just to let me know that he still cared and to give me some great news!

1 to help motivate me to be a better person

This made me miss them and immediately think about a ton of the crazy good times I’ve had with them. Little road trips, fishing, summer nights lying out on the trampoline talking about life and looking at the stars, laughing until my side hurts, planning amazing parties or just going for a drive so we can chat and talk about how we are so messed up and we just need to be better and to do better.

Each of us are in different stages of our lives and I don’t see them too often any more, which used to be hard. But today I am grateful for the realization that no one has to be left behind and that we can still be there for each other from time to time. As we are making our own new memories with new people we will always be able to recall old memories and say “This one time ____ and I….”

It’s awesome.

But I’m also realizing that as I get older (yes, I know, I’m only 23) I’m not remembering things as well as I’d like too so I’ve decided that since I didn’t keep much of a journal…shame on me…but as I recall some of these memories that I’m going to jot them down in a notebook. Like a memory note book J

First in the book: Summer nights on the Trampoline (that should be a song title or something) haha.

No comments: