Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

We're all different.

I have an interesting group of friends here in Utah.  Honestly, a lot of us are so different that I sometimes wonder how it works--but it just does.  We've got some who started out being a little shy and naive all the way up to the people who will say and do just about anything without being embarrassed about it whatsoever.  Some people come and go out of our group but there are always those solid few.

Ever since last week (when almost EVERYTHING was getting on my nerves) I've been trying to stop getting annoyed with the little things people do this week and start learning from them.  Maybe that's why I haven't been able to blog/rant about anything this week..hmm.. makes sense.  Sure, there have been a few little vent sessions in person and via text (I'm human) but overall I've just kind of tried to let them go.  Like one of my friends said this week, "You just have to pull yourself out of the situation so you aren't annoyed."  Words to live by.

Here are some of the things I've really learned from my friends (individually) as I've observed them... 

Sometimes things don't go the way that you want them to go but no matter what you have to be strong and never let your values go out the window.  Accept people for who they are and see the good in them but never forget about what you believe in the process...no matter how hard it is :)


Dating and marriage isn't the only important thing in this world. I know that in Utah or at any Church school that it's really hard to see...but it really is true.  There are other things that matter in life too!

It's OK to laugh at yourself and your situations.  Sometimes the cards you are dealt aren't always the easiest to handle but you can speak about them openly and laugh about it every now and again--It's healthy.

Have the confidence to put yourself out there when it comes to relationships and goals. Maybe they haven't worked out in the past but seriously, confidence is GOLDEN and speaks a lot about a person.

Being the good girl works.  You can be strong in your beliefs and still have just as much fun as everyone else! 

What it means to be a true friend.  One who knows when there is a problem and will listen to you when you're sad or frustrated, who will drop everything they are doing just to spend time with you because you need something to help you forget about all the other crap that life sometimes brings,  and one who will be excited for you when something good happens and sad with you when something crappy happens.  

There might be times in your life when you feel like you don't seem to fit in with a certain group of people but it's OK to mingle with people who maybe don't believe some of the same things that you do; that's what makes life so interesting.  Sometimes you just have to set all of that stuff aside and just get to know people and accept them for who they are and not change yourself or try to change anyone else in the process.  Just be yourself.  

There are totally good guys out there who are genuinely nice. Believe me.

Being happy with who you are and where you are in life is something that takes hard work and dedication.  The goals we have to set for ourselves to reach that point might seem a little outrageous to everyone else but if you are dedicated to making it happen you can achieve anything you want to achieve while still keeping the rest of your life in check: family, school, church, friends, relationships...It's all about balance. 

You can know someone for a short period of time and just "click."  You just have to genuinely want to get to know them, show that you care, be yourself, and just say what think.  Honestly. If you want to connect with someone, just tell them something you're struggling with..haha. that will do it.

You are in complete control of your attitude.  You can have what will seem like the crappiest week in the world to everyone else and still be able to say that it was a good week simply because you chose to make it a good one. It's fascinating.

Don't think too much.  If you do, you'll probably end up making up crap that probably wasn't even an issue to begin with and you'll stop yourself from putting yourself out there because you're too busy freaking yourself out.  

Boys and girls truly can be just really good friends. Friends who can stay up and talk about anything and everything until super early in the morning all the time and never run out of things to talk about, who you can "stalk" people with, give great advice to others with, be yourself with, and someone who you instantly go to with any drama--It just works.

Be who you are. Always.

Keep your priorities straight.  Whatever you do, give it your all.

Everyone should have someone who they go to for encouragement to become that better person they want to be.  Life is hard and it's so easy to lose sight of the things that are truly important.  But with the help of a good friend you can always have a friendly reminder to do better and to be better :)

I could honestly go on for days, but I won't.  I think the biggest thing I learned this week is that life is so much more enjoyable and people are so much more tolerable if you 1.) don't put yourself in situations where you will be annoyed with them and 2.) start learning from the people you are around everyday.. I promise, it will help with your attitude.

At the end of the day, everyone in this world is so different, just like each of my friends are all so different...but it works because we are all able to bring so many different things to the table and are able to learn from each other in the areas we lack.


Life would be so boring if we were all the same.

Thank you diversity!

2 comments:

Cathy J said...

I love the thinking too much one. I fall into that more often than I like to think. I have to actually tell myself to stop being ridiculous.

Linda said...

Thank you daughter dear. How did you get to be so smart. I always love and learn from your blogs. Keep them coming. I need all the help I can get. Love you