You know that tingling feeling you get when your foot falls asleep? It's uncomfortable, it's super annoying, you don't really know why it happens, and you find yourself deciding if you should just let it pass, slowly wiggle your toes to get it back to normal, or just get to the point and stomp the crap out of it until it gets better. Yeah....That. Everyone has different ways of dealing with it. Just like we all have different ways of dealing with change in the people around us and with our lives in general.
I've had a few these moments over the last couple of weeks. I'm not actually talking about the whole foot falling asleep thing, although that did happen to me this morning [hence the pathetic analogy.] I'm just talking about those moments when things are relatively "good" and then all of a sudden it's like "WTH?" [entire saying said like Pauly D, of course :)] Like, how did this happen? How did I get into this situation? When did things change with that person? Why do they all of a sudden think they've got the moves like Jagger? Or when did life get so jacked and confusing? I mean, yesterday was fine and then today it's like..whoa, life is crazy and dramatic. HURRY. Ambulance. Wah. Wah. Wahhhhhh. That kind of a thing. [Don't worry, I'm having a really good day! I'm just saying..in general it's those kinds of frustrating situations.]
Here's the LD.
Like a sleepy foot--people and situations get annoying and life will inevitably get hard and uncomfortable at times. But the cool part of it all, in the midst of all of the suckage, is that we are in complete control of how we deal with the situation. We can choose to brush it off and say, "Yeah, I'm a little miserable that [so and so] said/did something really hurtful to me... But NBD.," OR just face the fact that you don't know what made your relationship with [that one person] all of a sudden change because simply stated: people grow apart sometimes. Whatever the situation is, you can decide that you're not going to let it change who you are just so you can 'roll with the crowd' because lezzzbehonest, sometimes the crowd isn't the best thing to follow. I don't know how many people would say that this "brush it off" approach works 100% of the time but sometimes there is nothing you can do or say to fix the situation or explain how you feel so you just kind of have to let it go. This one is hard for me to do most of the time because I like to just talk everything out, especially if they really bug me.. but really, there will be times when there is nothing that can be said. So we leave it, we move on, and we get over it.
Then there's the toe wiggling situations--The kind where you really don't like how uncomforatble you feel so you decide to fix things a little bit at a time because we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or have to do too much work to make it better. We can pick at things and hint that we are upset here or there (the toe wiggle) OR we can just jump straight to the point, stomp our foot and say, "LISTEN--you aren't that cool" or put our foot down and decide that we are going to STOP having that pitty party we've been having for an entire year about how hard life is and we grab life by the proverbial horns (hahaha thank you Danielle RHWNJ) and we stomp the crap out of the sucky situation we're in until it's gone.
I honestly don't care what approach you take to "deal" with your situations. But can I just suggest that stomping things feels so much better and works SO much faster? Just figure out what you've got to do for your unique situation and just deal with it the best way you can. Don't just pretend that you are "brushing it off." That's not really taking care of it...and... on the real, we all know that you're faking that you're "OK."
Oh, and while you're at it... don't be someone else's constant "Sleepy Foot." really. we all have our own crap to stomp out. So if you want someone to help you get rid of yours, be nice and return the favor. It's not all about you. K? k.
Take Control. Get Rid of the crap--Happy Friday!!
1 comment:
Nicely said. Brava! I'll take that advice :)
Post a Comment