Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

I'm a little teapot

I know it's been a while since I've really written down some of my thoughts.  Aside from the weekend updates, random junk, and quotes every Wednesday, that's been about all I've blogged about for the last couple of weeks.  Here's the thing--Sometimes I choose to pretend that my brain isn't on over load and that I'm 100 %, completely sane.  I am not.  But the last couple of days I've been able to just breathe and be lazy  [thank you Hulu+, thank you Revenge] and not care about stupid stuff simply because I chose to take that uncomfortable step of facing one of my problems.  It has been SOOOOOO nice! [hence the lack of posts filled with super annoying rants about the mentioned topic that were drafted and then deleted.]


Without going into the [not-so-much-anymore] sob story of my brother getting his heart broken by someone who had quickly become my good friend, I will just say that I was finally able to confront some of the issues I was having with the whole ordeal.  Sure, it wasn't a face-to-face confrontation but it was written, it was rational and I feel so much better about it all. 


I can NOT express how important it is to not keep things bottled up inside.


Think about a tea kettle. As you let the kettle sit on heat (the things that are bothering you) the water will begin to boil and turn into steam which takes up more room than the water.  Once the water is boiling hard enough (too many things happening in your life that you can't seem to get over) so much steam is created and built up that it can no longer be slowly released through the tiny hole (controlled).  The pressure is built up in the kettle, causing the steam to be quickly released through the hole causing it it do that horrible whistling sound (basically exploding/blowing its top..you know what I mean).  


Sure, this process is great if you're making tea but in the name of lame analogies, let's pretend that we aren't making tea and that you are really the kettle.  The problem is the heat and what do we do when we have a problem? We get rid of it!  We wouldn't have all of that steam built up if we removed the problem before we reached our personal boiling point.  


Wow.  Now that "I'm a little teapot" song is starting to make sense.


I know that it can seem easier to just sit back when there is a problem and hope that over time we will just get over it or that things will just work itself out because honestly,  things do eventually work themselves out in one way or another.  But I know for me, I think things through over and over again until I have taken care of it or faced the issue.  I guess I've learned that from years of "he said, she said" and never facing things dead on for myself because I thought it would be awkward or I was scared of the confrontation. I've changed.  Now, I can't stop thinking about it UNTIL there is a confrontation.  Sometimes it takes me a little bit of time to get to that point (like the last couple of weeks) but I promise, once it's done there is a HUGE weight lifted off of your shoulders.


If there is something that is making you reach your boiling point, get rid of it.  Right now.  Face whatever fear you are having and realize that you are going to feel so much better once it is taken care of.  Chances are, if there is another person involved, they are probably just waiting for you to come to them and are probably thinking the same things you are.  Be the bigger person; Take care of it!!! I can't tell you how many awkward encounters I saved myself from just by saying how I felt... 


Write, Say it, cut it out of your life, do whatever you've got to do so you don't explode.


Let's not let ourselves get so steamed up that people have to "hear [us] shout."  It's annoying and no one wants to hear the same story from someone who could solve their issues by just getting rid of whatever or talking it out.


So do it.  
Leggo.


--------------------------


Ok, bonus vid from the sister:


I'm still waiting for my nephew to say "Aunt Jenn" or any other variation of a cool name but I guess that won't come until he can really say some actual words.  But Mason can kind of say "Hey" and "Moo" now! See for yourself:



No comments: