Pages

Friday, August 12, 2011

Texting--An Over Analyzer's Nightmare.

Have you ever had one of these moments?


I'm talking about the moments where you over analyze EVERYTHING in your life especially when it comes to relationships and dating. To the male readers who just thought, "wow. Girls are crazy.." I point my virtual finger at you and call you out right now. Yes, girls are crazy and in general are the worst when it comes to this topic but you don't fool me. Take it from a girl who's talent is to quickly become one of the "guys." I know how you work, k?

It's one thing to over analyze a situation when you are having true face to face interaction with a krinkle, crush, friend, ex, enemy or whoever it might be....but texting? Texting is an over analyzer's nightmare when it comes to relationships. In fact, I believe that texting has increased over analyzing in the entire world by at least 75 percent [yes I just made up a statistic but, you get my point.]

 
Here's what I mean.
Why I Believe TEXTING is the Worst Source When it Comes to Relationships:

Reason 1:
Some people are simply being nice when they text.
Guy texts girl "friend" all of the time to talk about random nothingness because he's interested in said girl. Girl [who is known to over use the smiley face] isn't interested but always responds simply because they are friends and she's nice.  Guy believes girl is interested because 1-they text a lot more than normal "friends" do [even though he usually starts the convo] and 2-all of those dang smiley faces!..."She must like me, right?"

uhh.. maybe so, maybe not.

Reason 2:
Some people don't show any emotion via text.
I've blogged about this before and how it's super confusing.  This would be someone who never does smiley faces, exclamation points, "haha's" or is even known to send one word texts like "no" and "yes" (one of my pet peeves).  This is where over analyzing of the textee kicks in.  "I think they're mad at me." "What did I do wrong?" "I thought he liked me." "Oh crap! I just ruined my chances there..."

You can sit there and analyze the lack of emotion in the text but it still could go either way.  Maybe it does mean they aren't interested OR maybe that's just how they text. Or maybe you really did do something to tick them off. How could you even know?

Reason 3:
It's easy to say anything over text.
You can tell someone you have feelings for them [even if you don't really, kind of sort of do], that you hate them and even gossip and spread rumors so much easier over text.  It's like the stomping ground for confessions, I swear.  I'm amazed at how much more comfortable some people are at saying whatever they want over text or even on facebook but when it comes to human interaction it's basically like talking to dry wall. "um. hello? when did you get so borrring?!"

Reason 4:
You can think before you type.
How many times have you sat and thought for a long time about the exact way to say something so that the other person will think of you in a certain way? It totally encourages posers and fakers!  So you think they say all the right things over text? Um...newsflash..He might not be that clever, witty, funny or romantic and she might not be as good, perfect and glamorous and she seems. 

I could go on, but I won't. I will wrap it up before you think I have mad trust issues. haha


Even though I appreciate texting for multiple reasons, I'm just saying that you shouldn't base any kind of relationship "status" or someone's feelings off texting.  You don't always know if they are telling the truth, being sarcastic, trying to be funny, or sincere.  Instead, you can sit there and analyze the text until you come up with your brain's analysis of how the other person feels.

It's just not accurate. You feel me, dog?

I'll let you in on a little secret.  Human interaction is way more fun and, if you are a good people reader, like me, you don't have to over analyze as much because you already know what is up!

So go ahead and text away.  Text like you normally do.  Text a lot, I don't care. But don't decide how someone else feels based only on a text.  If you're confused about something--call them or meet up and talk it out or.... if it's that hard for you to do, just get a friend to do it for you. haha. That works too.  At least you'd know the truth about what the other person is thinking and you can stop worrying about it.

 
p.s-if you don't believe me.  The word "texting" didn't even come up on my blogger spell check. But "talking" does.  coincidence? maybe. But I'll take it as a sign. ;)

TGIF

2 comments:

Savanna said...

So true and so good. Talking is the only way to true happiness! Love you!

Linda said...

Nicely said and so true!! Maybe some will listen and learn.