Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Even the issue-solvers have issues of their own

Today at work I participated in a training that was all about Relationship Trust [hence the super late lunch break].  In the training we talked about lots of great things.  Trusting yourself, trusting others, many different kinds of trust, how to gain it and how to balance it. 

One of the things we briefly talked about was "confronting reality."  This isn't always the easiest thing to do; to be honest about where you really stand and what is really going on in your life. 

A friend said something to me recently that got me thinking.  My response, yet honest, made me feel extremely weak.  This really bugged me; I am not a weak person.  So, in hopes to prove to myself that I wasn't weak, I spent the last two days really reflecting on my response from the weekend and trying to really resolve the issue(s) I'd been putting off for so long.

Today during the trust seminar was the "AHA" moment.  The moment I decided that I'm ready to confront reality.  It's been long past due.  I thought that I had been protecting myself by my actions all this time but in all actuality I was only hurting myself by not letting myself progress. I guess I just didn't have enough trust in myself that I would ever get over it and be "OK."

After the last couple of days I can now say that I really know where I stand with certain things in my life. I know what I'm capable of and I, without a doubt, know what I deserve.  I'm done protecting myself from the chance of being hurt or failing and I'm truly over those things that I've needed to be over.  Sure, my realization doesn't just make it all go away but I'm in a good place with it all and that's HUGE! I now know what I need to do.[Take that Reality!]

The reality of it is that there are so many things that will happen in our lives that we won't want to face.  We'll want to push it under the rug because it's easier and say, "I just need more time" or "not now, I'm not ready" or "oh, it's not a big deal."  But sometimes, if we're not careful, that can turn into years of a negative attitude and many wasted opportunites and realtionships. 

Don't let that happen, people!  Confront it.  No more excuses.

Trust yourself :)

Oh, and if this doesn't apply to your life right now--Brava! Thanks for the vent-sesh.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Very wise words. Make sure you take you do the same. I love you