Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

Project Update!

Remember how I gave you a sneak peak earlier in the week of the project Ariana and I worked on last weekend?  Well, the project is now completed!  I finally brought it home last night (had to wait so it wouldn't stink up the A-P-T) and I'm so happy with the way it turned out.

Ok, ready for it?!?

Months ago I found this picture on pinterest and fell in love with it.  Only problem?  It didn't have a tutorial on how to do it.  Ariana assured me that we could get it done and after a little initial lack of faith, 5 total hours of hard work, squatting, and rocking it with a jig saw and some wood glue and....Viola!!  We did it:)

Here's the pictures of the process followed with an explanation below.

1.) Top Left.  At this point we didn't really know how to go about doing the project.  There wasn't a tutorial ANYWHERE on the Internet.  I mean, anywhere. Pinterest, Goog, nothing! So we just started putting down all of our pieces of wood (A pallet and some random pieces courtesy of Liz :) )  and started strategizing our plan of action.

2.) Top Right. We started cutting the pieces into skinnier ones and putting together the puzzle.  We knew that there were high points of the lips and shorter points so we just started to fit the side by side like so.  Ariana was rocking the saw for this part.  She's not the best at straight lines (unless she's cutting hair of course haha ;)) but honestly it was the best thing for this job because we didn't want it to be perfectly straight!  She did such a good job.

3.)  Bottom left. This is where it started to get fun.  We decided that the best way would be to take a pen and sketch the edges.  At this point we knew this was the "make or break it point" but we just kept going with it.  I got my hands on the saw this time and I honestly was impressing myself with each piece.  [dear santa, I want a jig saw for Christmas]. We picked up each piece, cut the edges and put them back into formation until it quickly turned into this...

4.) Bottom right.  So great right?!

Honestly once we got to this point it wasn't too hard.  We used 2 larger pieces of the pallet as a backing to each piece (top lip and bottom lip) and trimmed the edges so they couldn't be seen from the front view.  Our original plan was to use nails to place the pieces onto our "frame" but we quickly found that the nails would split the wood. [boo]

We ended up using Titebond II Premium Wood Glue that you can get from Home Depot for 4 bucks.  It wasn't the ideal thing to use, obviously but it worked like a champ!  (note--if you do this.  Be sure that your frame isn't warped at all to ensure that you get the tightest bond with the glue since clamps can't be used to hold the pieces in place while the glue dries.  We improvised a lot but it worked beautifully.

We then decided to use spray paint so we could easily get into the cracks to make sure the back frame could not be seen.  We used a white primer on the bottom to make sure our color would come out even, considering the pieces of wood were different kinds. To get the rustic look we used a red gloss spray paint directly on top of the primer. We only needed a can of each and it turned out like THIS:




Impressed?! haha. I am, but I suppose I'm biased. Of course, if you want more of a glossy look and less rustic/urban then just simply get another can of red paint and do another coat. I decided to keep mine as is for now. I like the feel of it. It might get a touch up later, we'll see.  But as of right now, we're obsessed. And let's be honest, it fits in with the dull colors in my living room. haha.

Of course it's not the same as the picture we found but, get real.  We made it and we love it!


At the end of the project if you have the wood already laying around, and a saw of course, the project will be under $15. WOOT WOOT.

I'm hanging it up tonight on the wall by my dining room table/kitchen.  I can post another picture at that point on instagram or something but I was just too excited and couldn't wait to share :)


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED-5/22.  Here is the final project on the wall :)








5 comments:

Linda said...

It looks great! You 2 did an awesome job. You'll have to think of some other ideas.

Cathy J said...

Jenn! I'm so impressed!!!! I would have given up and tried to convince my dad to do it for me.

Unknown said...

I know I'm almost 3 years late, however, what kind of saw did you use? I have power tools, but I like the not so straight lines.

Jenn said...

I actually just used a handheld jig saw to get the outside "lip" design. Then to get the individual pieces (shown in pic 1 and 2) I found really old pieces from a pallet (some which were split part way) and I just pulled them apart. Then I used the skill saw to make them the sizes I wanted. Hope that helps :)

Edna said...

Thank you so much for printing instructions on step by step to do the lips. I love it. Yours looks great. I have been wanting to make this for my granddaughter but could find a tutorial on how to make. I was so excited when I found your. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. and just let me add. . . you did an awesome job. Thank you again. Keep up the great work.