Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

We were Children of the 90's :) TGIF.

This weekend I was sitting with my friends on a Friday night and I don't know how it came up but I found out that MOST of them didn't know what I meant by ABC's TGIF.
SAY WHAT?!?!?!  um.  I don't know about you but that was my childhood.  I can honestly remember looking forward to it EVERY week.  Maybe it's because I had an older sister who loved it and I wanted to be just like her but I have vivid memories of us having a little slumber party and getting so pumped to camp out in front of the TV with popcorn and watch it.  Two hours of great TV-- back to back; It was the highlight of our week. 


Shows like:


Step By Step
Family Matters
Full House
Sister Sister
Hanging with Mr. Cooper
Clueless
Sabrina the Teenage Witch
...and later 'Two of a Kind' (If you were as big of a Mary Kate and Ashley fan as me then you know that this was only on for a short time before they stopped running it but it was good!0


Classics.


Golden line-up: Family Matters, Full House, Step by Step, and Boy Meets World.


For those of you who actually remember TGIF then you'll remember these.  If not, then here's just a little taste.  Look at the colors, the clothes, the music. Omg.  Good stuff.


[Of course I won't add the Full house theme song because, let's be honest...we all remember that show and probably have watched it in our adulthood and maybe even know the lyrics.  Don't lie.:)]:










Source: google.com via Rena on Pinterest




TGIF was great.  And here's the thing... We probably didn't realize it then but our parents knew that each of the shows always taught great lessons.  Sneaky Parents. I mean, come on...Danny Tanner, Uncle Jesse and Joey ALWAYS taught the girls great lessons at the end of every episode *cue serious music and tears*;  It was great.  


I feel bad for kids now... you can't watch a show now with teenagers in it that doesn't have something to do with sex, teenage pregnancy, homosexuality, drinking, drugs, cyber bullying, ext... What ever happened to the classic: Don't lie, don't steal, and obey your parents lessons? haha. I guess the times have changed.  But These shows.. ohhhh you don't get much better.


Note to my future children--I'm sorry that you won't have TGIF and that you will be forced by the world into thinking that Teen Mom and Glee is where it's at. (yes, I've watched both of those shows) smh.  I'm scared. :/


TGIF. Come baaaaaaackk.


Oh and as a bonus.  Let's not forget the classic 90's 'made for TV movies' that were brought up this weekend like Camp Cucamonga (Jennifer Aniston? uh, yes) and Sabrina the Teenage Witch (Hello Ryan Reynolds).  


Honestly.  If you haven't seen Camp Cucamonga...I'm making you watch it. Please.  Jamie  and Cole and I still watch it to this day and love it.



4 comments:

Cathy J said...

All I can say is AMEN. I miss those days of TGIF. My kids will be forced to watch re-runs. 90's cartoons were awesome.
Boy Meets World and Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers prepare to meet my children. :)

AND on another note that has nothing to do with your post. Where the heck do they get these words to "prove [I'm] not a robot". toupredu and eaddishe? WTH!?

dlpower said...

I was just thinking about this the other day. I am missing all these shows so badly. I watched Sabrina and Full house until my adult years. Those re-runs never got old. I have seen each full house episode 3 times but i don't even care. I remember getting together with my friends just to watch TGIF. And that Sabrina the Teenage Witch movie? The best. I also fear for my future children. Thank goodness saved by the bell is on netflix!

Linda said...

Oh what great parents you have! And to think we didn't even have to force you to watch all those fun shows. Thanks for the memories, daughter dear!

Amy said...

haha! Saying that I loved TGIF is an understatement. I too looked forward to every Friday, just to watch these shows! I'm almost 26 years old and I own all seasons of Boy Meets World and DVR Full House every morning:) I love it! I loved Step by Step...JT was hot!