Pages

Saturday, November 27, 2010

KISS

I don't know about all of you, but the strangest things always happen to me while at the Redbox..

I didn't have much of an agenda today so I thought I would just rent a couple of movies. I stopped at the 711 down the road from my apartment and started browsing through the selections.

Now, I don't know if I learned from my parents to not trust strangers, or if it's because I have watched one too many Law and Order Episodes, but I don't really trust strangers outside (I like talking to strangers in stores and stuff..I know, i'm weird). But I'll see a homeless man on the side of the road and I will give him money if I happen to have cash because I really do feel bad for them and I want to help..mind you, I will only roll down the window far enough to just reach my hand out with the best intentions of cautiously helping!

Back to the Redbox... So I'm browsing through the movies and a man walks out of the 711. He's grungy, scruffy and kind of looks homeless. The first thing that goes through my mind is.. "oh, he probably won't ask my for money..he JUST bought stuff in the store." (I know, you think I'm rude for judging but I was just being cautious and being aware of my surroundings.) So this man comes up to me with a huge smile on his face and reaches into his pocket. I instantly think, "oh crap, please don't be a gun." To my surprise he pulled out a light and says, "Ma'am, look what I just found in the store!! A KISS lighter." The rest of the convo went something like this:

Me: Oh wow, that's really neat.
Man: Yeah, I love Kiss. They are from my generation, back when I was in High School.
*insert pitty laugh on my end/kind of wanted to pee my pants but instead replied:
Me: They're still rockin' (who says that..)
*insert staring back at the redbox, pretending to browse through the movies.
Man: Did you know that Gene Simmons is in his 60's?
Me: No, no I didn't know that.
Man: Do you know "I wanna rock and roll all night, and party everyday? man, that's a good song!"
Me: yeah, I like that one too.
*still looking at the redbox.

Man:.. Well Ma'am, you have a good day!

The man slowly walked away with a smile on his face and his KISS lighter clenched him his fist.

I felt so rude after that. I mean, I know that you are supposed to be cautious but I really didn't know what that man was going to do, or how long he was going to talk to me and we all know that the Redbox is the slowest machine EVER so I didn't know whether I should just forget the movie and leave or wait it out..

But after he left, I just felt awful. The guy was just excited about his KISS lighter and probably just needed someone to talk to and to share his news with. Maybe he doesn't have anyone to talk to, or doesn't have family. Gah, all kinds of those things started going through my head. I mean, I did talk to him, but I could have been nicer and may not prejudged him as hard and assumed the worst. I mean, a gun? humph, I need to take a chill pill...and stop watching Law and Order.

...I kind of want a KISS lighter now.





2 comments:

Linda said...

Love the experience. Only you!!! A kiss lighter would be cool and be nice....I remember the song, "I want to rock all night and party everyday!" I'm duh coolest!!!

Jenn said...

Dear Santa: I expect a Kiss lighter in my stocking! Thanks.

oh and you are DUH coolest, Mom.