Pages

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Trying to grow up..

A few of you may know that I still keep a little tiny part of my childhood--my baby blanket. I don't know what it is but I've slept with it for the last, well, 22 1/2 years of my life and the poor thing is getting really ragged. The best part about this little blanket is that it is completely broken in and...falling apart, making it soft and comforting!

For me, sleeping on my stomach is the way it has to be. With that in mind I always take my baby blanket and prop it in between my arm and head. It is for this reason that it obtained the nickname "spitter" a long time ago because it was in the perfect spot to catch some occasional drool... Disgusting, I know. But I'm not really ashamed of it. It helps me to sleep. I know that any kind of blanket would do the trick but I've just always had this one around. Even through all four years of my college career.

A couple of weeks ago when I got my new job and had to start filling out my benefits stuff and my 401K information, I felt like a real adult. I went up to my room, grabbed my Spitter from underneath my pillow and decided to retire it to the top shelf of my closet. That ragged little blanket can't take any more washings.. it's really sad... it was time to try to "grow up" and put it away.

Last night I was a little cold so I decided to put on my Canada hoodie that Coleman sent me for my birthday last year. I zipped it up, hopped into bed and crashed. When I woke up this morning, I saw that my sweatshirt had been unzipped and taken completely off. Where do you think it was? Sadly, it was propped between my arm and head posing as my Spitter. REALLY? I don't know what I'm going to do with myself. I think I've cursed my sleeping habits for the rest of my life.

3 comments:

Linda said...

This actually brought a few tears to my eyes. I can't believe you've retired it. I didn't think ever would. If you're taking off sweatshirts, go back to the blanket....What's it hurting. We all have to have some quirk, don't we??

Jenn said...

Yeah mom, you're right. I just feel bad because it is super ragged... I actually feel bad for it. I think I just need a new one. A BIG girl one :)

stephanieee said...

this is so cute. i'm 20 and i don't think i am ever going to retire mine! its funny because i sleep just like you do! on your stomach, that is:) it's the little things we take comfort in:)