While I find it annoying, I mostly think it's funny that people pretend to care. I know they love it. People love when they think that others have it worse off than they do, that's just what we do. The married ones like to rub it in, the betrothed ones act like their wedding is the event of the year--the only thing that matters, and the single ones act like they "totally know how I 'feel'" before I even say anything about my feelings. It's like "how do I feel? Someone, please tell me." It's comical.
I guess I will address a couple of these questions now. If you're my age and not married and ESPECIALLY if you are LDS and live in Idaho or Utah, then you most likely know what I'm talking about. I will call this the "If you're not married then you must be really sad" segment.
Here is my favorite one I've been asked since Cole got engaged:
"So...What are you going to do now?" (Aka: "wow, you're going to be alone and a loser. I sort of feel bad for you. Do you have plans for how you're going to deal wit it?")
Yes, I do actually. They aren't solid plans since I still have a lease at my apartment complex until the end of October. However, I plan on moving when the lease is up! I'll still be in Utah, but I'm thinking about moving closer to work. Not particularly SLC, and especially not West Valley, you know, since I value my life and safety. But just closer. Maybe Bountiful or Centerville or something. I'm really not sure yet. I still have a couple of months before I can look at apartments and stuff but that is what I'm thinking. I think it will just be a good time to switch wards, (TRY to) meet some new people..that sort of thing. It's time. Mom doesn't want me to "be alone" but I've assured her that I will be fine. I've lived by myself before. And who knows? Maybe something will come up before then with a roommate or something. I'm not sure.
While I'm nervous about all the changes that are coming, I'm mostly excited for something new. I think it will be great! I also feel like I could never be a loser, so I really don't like when people ask me questions and make me feel like I'm being left behind or that I'm a loser. It's like clearly you don't know me. If you did, you would know how good this is going to be for me. I guess only my closest and friends and family understand that one.
Tip 1-Don't act like you know someone and what they are feeling when you really don't. Easy peasey.
"That means you're next!" (AKA: "In case you didn't know, you're old and you're totally the last one in your family to get married. #Suckstosuck" OR "I'm just really trying to be nice because I feel bad for you that you're last.")
Umm, of course that means "I'm next." There is literally no one else left out of us three kids after Cole gets married. So thanks, genius, for pointing that one out like I even care. As if. I even had someone say that to me at church. To which I always want to quote Baby Mama, "B, you don't know my life!"
But I don't.
But I do love the people who you can just tell that they feel bad for you because they know that it would bother them if they were 25 and still not married or because they are your age or older and they are depressed about that very thing. You know the ones I'm talking about, right? Where you can see it in their eyes that they are like "oh, I hope she's ok" and they just picture me taking to my bed and eating only licorice and cupcakes all day long (sounds like a dream) but then they just give you this bull crap line about how they REALLY see it coming for you next. Girls are the worst at that. We Most lie. We tell people the things they want to hear just to make each other feel better.
So thank you, girls. Thank you for KNOWING that I'm going to be next and for assuming that it's the only thing that I care about because it's the only thing you care about it. Thank you for understanding me.
Three cheers for sarcasm.
It's funny really. People are funny. If you are close to me then then you know that yes, I would love to be in love and someday get married. BUT, it's not all that I think about. And you shouldn't either. If you are one who has let your relationship status (married or not) define you, then I feel bad for you. Marriage is a wonderful thing, I really do believe that. And I'm so happy for people who make it work and how are in love and happy, it's great. But don't assume that people are depressed if they aren't married. I am not. Either should you!
Whatever happened to enjoying life and trying to do your best to align your life with God's plan, choosing the right, and just doing the best we can and just being happy?!
really.
That's what I'm doing...and I feel good about that right now :)
Oh, but one thing I don't feel good about is this statistic I saw online the other day:
| Marriages by Education Level | Percent of Marriages |
| No High School Diploma | 28 % |
| High School Diploma or GED | 26 % |
| Some College | 21 % |
| Bachelor’s Degree or Higher | 11 % |
hahhahahaha Why didn't someone tell me that I was pretty much extra cursed if I finished my bachelor's degree before getting married? eek.
So, to all my graduated unmarried friends..Good luck! "May the odds be ever in your (Our) favor."
HA.
2 comments:
I love the reference to the Hunger Games! Oh peeps, marriage is great, but look at all the awesome stuff we single folk can do and experience as well. There's always a flip side.
Wait you forgot the question "So are you going on a mission then?" Because you aren't married, therefore your only logical move is to of course go on mission. Heaven forbid we continue making money or getting an education, because we all need men to take care of us in this sad world. Seriously, get on that book writing thing... I think one time someone told me that I better "hurry up and get on it because my eggs are drying up!" WTF menopause doesn't happen until you are a least 50 right? #ignorant #currentlyknockedupat28 #omg Love you!!!
Post a Comment