Pages

Friday, May 17, 2013

A really good day.

I had a day this week that I can honestly describe as one of those "perfect" days.  I woke up at 5:30 to go for a little jog.  While I was out I said hello to the few crazy people who were also doing what I was doing.  I was actually happy to be up and going!  It was light outside but cloudy at the same time and a perfect 60-some degrees;  It was beautiful.  That morning I even had time to listen to a conference talk while getting ready for work, read my scriptures AND watch part of a TV show while actually sitting down and eating cereal.  It was a miracle, really.  The rest of the day seemed to follow suit.  I was calm about things that happened at work, I ate my usual salad for lunch that for the first time in long time didn't feel "blah."  It was weird.  THEN to top it off, on the way home it was the weather that's somewhere between a storm and a warm summer afternoon.  My favorite kind of "feel good" weather. I rolled the windows half way down all the way home, even after it started raining just a bit.  No rain got in the car but the cool breeze, the calming rain drops and the smell of rain just made me happy.  

It sounds super corny and honestly, nothing HUGE happened on that day, it was just a good day.  A peaceful day.  This doesn't happen very often but I've realized that it really is one of those things that we have control over most of the time.  Nothing bad was happening and I was just grateful all day long for just being alive. It was really all in my mind.  I found the good in things and for that day, life was just good.

It's frustrating to me that I can't get myself to always be that way.  I just feel like things come up sometimes and we just let them ruin our day or we get so caught up in it that we just become this hot mess for no reason.  I mean, do those things REALLY matter?  Probably not.  

This morning I was thinking about the things that have bugged me this week that I've wasted time being worked up about and how all of these things don't really have to be a huge deal, but how we sometimes get ourselves into things that get in the way of us having those "perfect" feel-good kind of days.  Let me just list them to let you know how ridiculous I can get:

1.) I actually got heated up for an entire day about a comment someone posted on my Mom's "Abercrombie, Ugly CEO dude" facebook post.  It was so stupid, yet, I let someone who doesn't even matter get under my skin with his ignorance.  I hate when people do that, yet I couldn't let this one go.  Telling me that people who aren't a size 10 are lazy and have lower standards than the CEO of Abercrombie? Um, I don't think so.  I came back at him real quick just to tell the dude he was ridiculous and telling my mom publicly on Facebook that she should delete him from her "friends."  It's whatever.  Low standards?  get real. 

I only said the one comment and then I made mom delete it off her wall because I was SO heated up about it that I couldn't stop thinking about it.  I don't do that usually, so I was frustrating myself all day.  I could have had a perfect day that day but I chose to pick a stupid battle that made my blood boil all day long.  Dumb me.

2.) I know these people who are 100% wrong for each other.  Everyone knows it.  They even know it.  Yet they choose to continue to be in a relationship.  It's hard to sit and watch people be so....pathetic?  That sounds harsh and I don't if that's the right word but that's all I can come up with right now.  I would have loved it if things would have worked out for them in the beginning, because I love when people find love and are happy.  It's cute. But it didn't in this case and they continue to try to make it work while making their fights and weekly breakups public.  I honestly believe that you can not have a successful relationship when you are TRYING to make things work within just a few short months of being together.  It's hard because I really do like both of them.  My frustration is that if everyone including yourself knows that you need to end something (anything really)  but then you continue to stay in it even though you know it's not right? It's sad.  I'm not going to set aside the fact that sometimes there are things going on that make it hard to end things with someone that people on the outside might not know or understand, HOWEVER, there is always a way out if you aren't happy and there are always people who love you and will help you if you need it. IF you are willing to listen and be brave.

This whole thing has been a topic of conversation for a while now. Yes, I know it shouldn't be but come at me when you can tell me that you don't occasionally get caught up in your friends' lives.   

3.) OK, ow many times do you (personally) have to catch someone lying before you find it hard to ever trust them again and categorize them as a general liar?  For me it's 3 times. That's it. Do I still get ticked and talk about them and how frustrated I am with them after the first and second time? Absolutely.  But for me, it's after the third time that I'm like "she's a liar."  It is what it is.  


I also had a few times this week where I got so frustrated about someone I care about being a liar.  Because if there is one thing I CAN'T stand in this world, it's a liar.  I just don't get it.

....

I realized that I got so caught up in these stupid things that really don't matter, when I could have chosen to address the situations, talk about it real quick (because that's unavoidable. I mean, really) but chosen to not make it control my attitude..  I've faced the fact that I'm the kind of person who gets fully invested in people's lives.  It's my gift and curse.  

But that "perfect, really good day" I had this week really made me stop and think about all the negativity that we get involved in everyday.  I realized that most of the time, I'm complaining.  People on Facebook and Twitter, most of the time are posting quotes about crap to make people think they are cooler than they really are or, they are complaining.  Most of the time, I'd say it's complaining.  I do it too.  And while, I enjoy hearing complaints sometimes (it makes me feel blessed that my life is going pretty "ok") those negative things going on can really bring you down if you let it.  If you don't let it then it's usually pretty entertaining. haha.  So I see both sides. 

Thank goodness for Instagram, though.  All the selfies and people posting all those positive quotes and all those fun things they are doing and they cute babies they are having really brightens up my day too. Haha.  Ok, that sounded negative.  I actually do love all those things. Instagram makes me happy.  Except the excessive selfies.  They make me want to bunch baby things (and I love baby things.)

I just really need to work on having at least 2 of those really good, perfect kind of days a week. That shouldn't be too hard  I can't control the weather, which I know can really can make a difference in your day, but I can start doing a better job about not caring so much about all the negative things and stupid decisions other people make when they have no direct effect on my life.  It's hard, trust me.. from one Facebook/Twitter die hard to another, I get it.  But I really think that If we focus on the positive things, it can make a huge difference.  

Crap will happen, it always does.  And I can promise that you will have some really hellish days surrounded by people that you want to punch in the face.. twice just to be sure they got the point. But you should try to consciously make at least one day (aside from Sundays, because they are the bomb already) a perfect, really good, fantastic day :)  That's doable. 

OR, you can at least try to help make someone else's day.  Like, yesterday I got the nicest card in the mail from my FHE sister from College, Cathy.  I haven't seen her since BYU-I but we read each other's blog and got closer just through that and facebook.  She just told me about how much she loved reading my blog, gave me the sweetest compliment and wished me a great summer.  It made my day.  Thanks Cathy!!

Happy Weekend :)

No comments: