Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Cherish Each Moment.

Yesterday Cole and Kier and I got a card the mail from my Mom. She does that sometimes.  She'll send us random cards with a little note and usually a gift card to some place.  She knows she doesn't need to do it, but she's just the most thoughtful person I know so that's just what she does.  This card came one day after the Boston Marathon bombing and couldn't have been more inspired. The inside of the card said:

"Cherish Each Moment."

She went on to talk about how blessed we are and how sometimes it's easy to want more or to complain about how things aren't easy but how life is so short.  We hear that all the time.  Life IS short, and it can change in the blink of an eye.  We saw that happen yesterday for the people who were killed or injured in Boston and for their families and loved ones.  They didn't wake up that morning knowing that their life was going to drastically change.  We never really know.  

I know everyone says "life is short" and talks about "the end" and we automatically think about dying.  haha well, at least I usually do.  Death is scary and the idea of not knowing when it's coming is even scarier.  But my mom wasn't really just talking about that.  She was also talking about how life changes so much while we are living too and you don't always know when it's coming.

You're only in college once, you're only a young single adult once, you only get to live with your brother or sister for a short time... Whatever stage you are in right now, no matter what it is, life changes so quickly and we go from one stage to another without even realizing it usually. No, mom wasn't really talking about "YOLO-ing" but I guess it kind of works. 

It just really got me thinking about how we always wish that days would go faster or that we could just "move to the next stage of life already."  It happens.  I spent plenty of days wishing that High school, college, and school in general would just DIE. Ok, mostly I just hated tests.  But that's just what we do.  We always want something better and we usually tend to like things to be easy and comfortable. We whine, complain, waste time and are just lazy a lot of the time.

But I love how mom put it when she talked about how Cole and I needed to make sure we cherish this short time we get to spend together.  Things are good for us, don't get me wrong, but we could do a better job of really taking it in and making the best of it because, once it's over, it's over and it will just be a memory that we look back on.

I know this is cheesiest of cheesy posts but really think about it.  What stage of life are you in right now?  Are you making the most of it? Or are you complaining and wishing the days away?  Stop it. (I will try too) Because in a few months, weeks years.. whatever.. that moment could be gone and then guess what? it's gone.  And you will just be onto the next stage wishing for the next one.  And then you'll find yourself old and wrinkly and needing help to go to the bathroom (Ew) and you'll be wishing for the opposite.. to be young and to have those precious moments back.

 Really count your blessings. Don't wish precious moments away...Especially the good ones.  Yes, there are some things that happen to us that we don't understand or things that we'll hate to have to go through...we will get sick, we will get our hearts broken, we will lose people along the way, horrible things WILL happen, BUT we get to choose how we keep living.  No one else gets to do that for us.

Clearly, I'm not the best at this and I don't want to even think about dying but I'm going to do a better this week at making things count and just living in the moment and making the most of it.  We know we need to do this but if you don't make yourself sit down and really thinking about it, then it's easy to forget.

Don't miss out on opportunities to truly live and get the most of life because you are too busy wishing days away and waiting for change to happen.

Make things happen.
Cherish each moment.


No comments: