Remember the whole "stop buying bottled water for an entire year" thing? I thought it was going to be super hard since water is my favorite drink in the world but it's just something I wanted to do after a crazy trip to a landfill that gave me such bad anxiety because of all the plastic everywhere.. ew. Well, guess what guys!? I did it. Well, one of my things was that I could purchase it if absolutely needed and I quote "ie while at a concert, traveling ect.." I'll admit that I purchased a few bottles while in NYC... but that is it! Even though there were quite a few times when I really really really just wanted to buy a water I stuck to it and did it! I think for 2012 I will just make it a goal to recycle my bottles no matter what if I buy them! Even though the whole "not buying it" thing is just a habit now. There you go. Goal #1 completed.
Another one of my resolutions for 2011, and probably the biggest one at the time, was to try to get out and make friends here in Utah. At the time, this one seemed impossible. I was living by myself, didn't have school where I could meet people and well, I was getting over some pretty interesting/tough things in my life... BUT (long story short) only a few months into the year I met a group of people who, I didn't know at the time, would quickly become some of my really good friends. They really have become my family here in Utah and helped make this last year so much fun and memorable. I guess I kind of sort of love them :)
I honestly couldn't have asked for a better year--My brother moved in with me, I met amazing people, my best friend was married to the love his life, baby mason was born [on the same day as Hyrum's wedding..that was a trip], reached my one year mark at work, went to Vegas with 9 amazing guys and gals, maintained old friendships, watched people fall in love, gave tons of advice, learned more about certain people and why they are they way they are, went to New York City for the first time ever with some of my best friends and LOVED it, laughed a lot, and stopped caring about a lot of things that used to control my life.
It really was a good year. The only thing remotely bad I can think of off the top of my head is that time in July when my baby Corolla AND Blackberry both decided to crap out in the same week. that.was. miserabllllle. But even a drama queen like me made it out alive!
I think the biggest thing I learned over this last year is that things are always changing and you can't stop it. People change, situations change. Friendships grow, friendships dwindle. Life is good, life is hard...but the best thing you can do is to decide to make the most out of every situation you're in. To not put up with other people's bull, or to do anything for anyone else but yourself...to decide what you think is right, to surround yourself with people who except you for who you are and to just live in the best way that you know how too and to not care what other people think about it. Some people make that hard to do but I think I did a pretty good job of that this year and I can totally see the difference it's made in my life.
So for 2012 when it comes to goals, I think I just want to keep it up and to always try to be a little better (for myself and no one else). To not sweat the small things that aren't even going to matter tomorrow, in a week, or in a year from now. I will add that I want to travel more, serve more, and to focus a little more on my relationships. [No, I didn't just say I want to be in a relationship..Get real!] I want to work on my relationship with my family, friends close by and especially far away and with my Heavenly Father and Savior. To be a better friend, sister, aunt and daughter. It might sound lame but it's all I've got, and well, I don't really care if you think it's lame or not ;) omg. See, that's me not caring and just doing "me."
Happy New Year, Everyone. Go out tonight. Recap the lessons you've learned over the last year. Make new goals to do better and to make stuff happen for yourself. Surround yourself with people you love. Kiss someone. Stay up late--Just start it off right.