Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

SLOW down.

Cole and I went out to lunch yesterday and we decided to sit at the table right next to this couple who CLEARLY were on their first date. I tried to mind my own business but I just couldn't help myself.

Here's the scenario:

First date.

Guy: white male. brown hair. average.
Girl: tan female. dark long hair. (let's just say, he did better in the combo).

Here's a little snippet of how the convo went down: *Note* the guy talked faster than any guy I've ever talked too and jumped to different tangents just as fast...

Guy: Do you love Rascal Flats Sam?
Girl: I LOVE Rascal--
Guy: No way Sam, I love Rascal Flats. I have all of their CD's and listen to them in the shower. no Joke. Oh wow, you have such white teeth. seriously.
Girl: oh, thanks!
Guy: I'm so glad that you decided to come out with me. I mean, all the other girls in the ward think that I'm just a player or something. seriously. I'm totally not a player. But I can just see that you aren't like the other girls. I mean I wasn't planning on being this open with you. You're just so easy to talk to. I hope you're not freaked out that I'm so open.

*little toddler walks by...

Guy: oh my goodness I love kids, sam. Seriously. One of my best friends has a little boy and even they call me Uncle Derrick. The first time I saw him I held him for 2 hours. 2 hours Sam! I wouldn't even let anyone else hold him. I just love kids.

*Scene.

GAHHH... I could barely concentrate on eating my lunch. I couldn't get over this guy and how all over the place he was. I mean, sure we've all had our fair share of awkward conversations. Sometimes we slip and say things that we don't mean or we stammer a little. We may be nervous but really!? I may not be an expert on "normalcy" but I do know these things:

1.) Even though I love hearing people call me by my name randomly in a conversation....doing it over and over again is weird and starts to feel insincere.
2.) Even when nervous, ALWAYS let the other person talk. If you ask them a question, let them finish and let the conversation flowwwww.
3.) Don't try to one-up everything the other person says. It's annoying and it just makes me want to get up and leave without saying anything or to make up bizzare stories just so I can one-up you right back. just sayin.
4.) I don't think it's necessary to prove that you love kids on the first date. That's like your date to mother your childen right there. Sure, you can say that you like kids but let's leave it at that for the first date.
5.) Slow down!

Oh but props to the kid for going on a date. Good for you ;)

No comments: