Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The ALL DAY Job Shadow

Today was a great day. I must warn you from the beginning, if you are looking for a job success story then you should probably stop reading. I turned it down.

Yeah, I know I need a job but today I realized a lot of things about myself and that is why I believe today was such a great day and I am unbelievably happy yet, jobless right now. I would explain the whole process of the day but I'm laughing so hard right now and I've told the story to a bunch of people over the phone about it already.. So here it is. The facts and lessons learned.

1-I've been praying so hard about what I am supposed to be doing and about finding a job that when I got to the job this morning, I knew that it wasn't right. Hands down. It wasn't just an, "oh this isn't right but you can do it for a while." It was an, "umm Jenn this is NOT the right job/atmosphere for you." ( I knew this the second the manager (great guy) was talking about their team night every wednesday night at the local bar and when he was swearing during his motivational pep talk about monkeys to his team before we were sent out in the field..HAHAHA classic.)

2- Sales? umm. no. I didn't really know exactly what I was getting into but I realized, I am GREAT at meeting new people, starting convos with strangers and keeping it flowing and branding a company as friendly. However, when it comes to selling stuff.. not my thing. I was out with an Awesome trainer all day today and there were times when someone would say, "oh I'm not interested" and if I were doing the sale I would have been like, "OKKKAAYY thanks, BYYYYE!" (in a very friendly, non-annoying, Jenn way!)..Yeah that wouldn't fly in this kind of job.

3- I have great potential. Yeah, I turned it down, but I realized that I have to be honest with myself. If I think to myself, "sure, I could do this" but at the same time I'm simultaneously having the thought that I'd rather live in a box. Well, that's not a good sign! I think it's a great job and you know, I probably would be good at it in time, but I knew from the beginning that it wasn't right so I told my trainer and I just continued the whole day with him.

4.) Even in the motivational pep talk with the monkeys and expletives, I learned a great lesson. I learned from Ron that you should never let anyone get you down about your dreams. You need to surround yourself with people who build you up and help you become the person you want to be in your personal life and in your career goals. Yeah, you can learn lessons in the weirdest places! '

5.) Missionary Experiences can come in the most random times. I won't go into all of the details but my trainer was raised LDS but at a young age stopped going to church and picked up some habits that don't really comply with the word of wisdom. However, he was a great guy. We were able to talk a little bit about the church and the fact that he has the goal of reading the Book of Mormon by the end of the year. That made me so happy! It was also a testimony builder to me that I really don't know others circumstances and I don't need to. All I need to do is love anyone and be a good example. Just because they do some of the things that I don't do or maybe don't agree with, doesn't make them a bad person. I can be confident in being their friend knowing that I know where I stand and they know where I stand! It's just a great feeling that I've really come to realize in the last few months.

So today while I job shadowed, knowing that I wasn't going to take the job, I still went along with it.. We probably walked 10 miles, but I met some great people and above all, I really feel like I learned so much about myself and that is why I am so happy right now. I am happy that I know my potential. I am meant for something great. It just hasn't come along yet. I am happy that I know Heavenly Father is going to help me in the decision making process of my future. He knows what is going to make me happy and I should have listened from the beginning. But he knew that I had to go through this LONG process today to learn all of these things about myself.


1 comment:

Savanna said...

Dear Jenn - you inspire me, look at all the positives from this expierence! I wish there was more people like you in the world :) LOVES!