I walked into work this morning and saw that one of my coworkers had decorated another coworker's cube in red paper hearts and signs that read, "Happy Single Awareness Day." At first glance I thought, "oh how nice" but then quickly remembered how I loathe people changing 'Valentine's Day' to 'Single Awareness Day' (also known as "S.A.D" by the depressed and lonely singles of this world and those few who are dating or married who like to rub it in single people's faces. For the latter, I'm pretty sure that is grounds for going straight to H-E-double hockey sticks. Just sayin. OK, maybe that was taking it too far but if you are one of those people then you are rude).
Whatever happened to those days where not having a boyfriend or girlfriend was totally acceptable and you made Valentine's Day cards for everyone in your life (class)? The fact that those be-proud-of-who-you-are days are long gone for most of us is what makes me SAD. If you're the type that is always in a relationship, great. I love it. If you are single and just just doing your thing, awesome. Whatever your "status" is..embrace it. Don't feel bad for yourself and please don't make anyone else feel bad for you. That's the worst. Just be who you are and love it. As Mary Catherine Gallagher said in Superstar--
You are your own Rainbow.
Think about that one for a second. It's for real. Deep, Mary. Deep.
Confession time.
Two days ago my hair lady asked me if my dating life had changed in the last 4 months (don't judge. I let my roots get WAY too out of control this time). Yesterday someone asked me if I was married. My answer for the last 6 years or so to questions like these has always been, "Nooo, I don't date. I'm just having fun!...Hopefully someday I will care." Totally a cop out answer so I don't have to keep talking about things that most people won't even begin to understand but it's also not a lie either. The truth is I don't date, I am having fun and while I only care a little right now, I really do know that someday I will care more about the whole dating/marriage thing. I totally want to meet someone special someday, I fall in love, and have a kid or two but I have been fortunately blessed for all of my life to not give a crap. Mostly. It's been nice really. It's only when people point out that I'm single that I want to barf. Not because of my relationship status on Facebook or because I'm sad but because I literally want to blow chunks simply to make people who ask me those questions get out of my face. Make sense?
So I'm not SAD that I'm single. In fact, I'm having a great Valentine's Day and I'm pretty happy.
Yesterday, Cole and Kier celebrated Valentine/s Day early because she has to work late tonight. They came home after and each gave me a little gift. I sincerely know that coming from them it wasn't out of pity (like last Valentine's Day..omg. let's not get started) but just simply because they love me. And I really appreciated that. Then of course the parentals sent a few gift cards because they are the best. I know it's not about the gifts and you really don't have to buy me things to show me that you love me, but it is nice to know that people care.
So Valentines Day is totally what you make it just like every other day is totally what you make it. It's not about being single or having that "special someone." (although I'm sure that's nice) but it's about love and relationships in general...being loved and loving people. It's about having a special day to show people that you care about them and appreciate them. Like I said, you don't have to buy anything if you don't want to. Just be kinder to each other today. Help each other out. Have fun together. Celebrate that you are in each others lives. Parents, siblings, friends, lovers.. whatever the case,
Just love.
Oh and totally cheat and eat some chocolate.
Oh ...and save the flowers!!
jk. I won't get into all the flowers that are murdered on this day.
ok. I love flowers just as much as anyone else but I can never understand why they are so expensive and I just feel bad for them when they die and you have no control over it. For me? Spring for a plant that I can water and keep alive.
I'm weird. Amen.
Happy Valentines Day everyone!!
Creepy virtual hugs all around :)
No comments:
Post a Comment