Have you ever had one of those days where something frustrating happens and then EVERYTHING from that point on just bugs the crap right out of you?! yeah me too. Yesterday was just one of those days. Not only was yesterday already cursed because it was a Monday but my day didn't stand a chance with all of the dumb people I was surrounded with. Work, home, all of it. pure crap.
I realized that I'm the worst pet peeves. Now, when I say the worst, I mean that if something bugs me, I will literally feel like I'm going to explode until the annoying thing stops. Sometimes it's stuff that people can't help, but that doesn't matter in the moment. Like when someone sneezes a billion times and it sounds like they aren't covering their mouth. [Nope. I can not. ] Or when people just don't do the things they are supposed too and they expect other people to just do it for them or to know what they are talking about. grrr.
Yesterday was just one of those days.
I've realized that there are a few ways to be on my good side during one of those days. 1--don't be annoying. 2-clean up after yourself so I don't have to do it and 3- give me some space for a minute. And if that doesn't work *bonus- get me a gift or do something nice for me. That totally helps change my negative attitude into a positive one.
I guess when you're just around people all the time, things will just start to bug you. You can't get away from it sometimes. It could be at work, home, or even just a group of friends. When people do things that we find annoying, it's usually because they aren't doing it the way that we do it. Reality check, of course they don't. We were all brought up differently and we're just all different in general. Like, I cover my mouth when I sneeze (either with a tissue, elbow, hand if I have too) and some people do it in their shirt, or don't cover at all...so I choose to not smack my cereal when I eat or I choose to have the house cleaned or to be organized at work..that doesn't mean that everyone is that way or that I'm right (although, let's get real, I still feel pretty right about all of those things I just complained about). Having had almost 30 roommates not counting family in my lifetime, I've realized that you have to have patience. It really doesn't always get easier. People will annoy you no matter where you go or what you do.
The key is to just not let it get to you so bad in the moment. Put yourself in their shoes for a minute. They probably don't see anything wrong with whatever they are doing or however they are living or else they probably wouldn't be doing it. It might be awkward, but if you don't say anything then compromises can't be made and understanding goes right out the window.
ugh. but it's just so hard when you don't want to sound like the WITCH who is like "umm. I guess that's OK. gonna have to be."
Stepping back and taking a deep breath totally helps me stay sane. It might take me a whole day to get to that point but trust me. Just breathe. And ...if you have too...lock yourself in your room or the bathroom for a minute. If you're anything like me, you will feel better and you'll get some great cleaning in! ;)
Everyone tells me that I'm just prepping myself for marriage living with boys. But I think I'm doing them more of a favor. haha. Their future wives will thank me down the road, I'm sure of it.
Like I had to tell my mom this morning -- "Just breathe. bite your tongue if it's not going to make things better." Boy does it make me feel good that my mother (who turned 53 yesterday) has annoyances and drama just like I do sometimes. Makes me feel better about myself. And more normal... :)
1 comment:
Wow. My life the last 6 months. Best part about getting kicked out of my house because the landlord decided to put boys in, I'm escaping the unclean roommates! But let's be honest, I'm probably just trading them in for new ones. good advice, I'll remember to just breathe and not punch them in the face.
Post a Comment