Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

25 things

I read an article earlier this year that I really liked by a journalist who posted about 25 things she knows now that she's 25.

Here's my attempt:)

1.)  Family comes first. I would honestly do anything for my family and I know they would do the same for me.  It's such a blessing to know that no matter where I move, or whatever life change I go through, I always have a set group of people who understand me and will cheer me on... FOREVER.  Eternity, actually ;)

2.) Life is too short to pretend to be something you're not.  You can waste so much time trying to fool yourself and others into believing that you're something other than who you really are...it might work for a while, but most people can see through your bull.  So don't pretend to be a certain way to fit in with people. 

3.) It's good to be friendly and kind, BUT you don't have to be friends with everyone.  Fact is, you won't have a lot of things in common with every single person you meet.  If someone crosses you, or you don't click with someone, or they just have too much drama then it's not a big deal.  Distance yourself. You don't have to be rude to them, but you don't have to pretend that you're best friends..  One of the best things I've loved about getting older is that you don't have to worry about having someone to sit with in the cafeteria for lunch.  So choose the friends you want..one's who don't even make you think twice about being something that you're not.

4.) Taking 10 minutes to clear your head and breathe every so often can save your sanity.  One of my favorite, most relaxing things I've learned to do is to lay on the floor, stretch out my arms way above my head and just stare at the ceiling and breathe.  It's fab.

5.)  You might think you're protecting yourself from heartbreak and disappointment when you hold in your feelings and emotions, but I've learned that it's so much easier just to say how you really feel about whatever the situation is.  Sometimes I just blurt it out, which might be annoying.  Good thing my family and friends "get" me.  But no matter what, even if you don't get the response or outcome that you were hoping for, at least you know and you can pick up and move on.  I've saved myself from a lot of wasted time just because I've learned to open my mouth and say how I feel.

6.) Everything isn't as dramatic as it really seems at first.  You can go ahead and blow things out of proportion for a minute, but I've learned to take a step back and be like, "Ok, I was overreacting."

7.) Not everything you do is the right thing for everyone else.  One of the biggest things I've learned over the last couple of years is that there are SO many good people in this world and just because someone has a different faith or loves differently than you, doesn't make them a bad person.  I know we shouldn't judge at all, but we can at least try not to judge people for WHO they are as a person in general. 

8.) Never think you have to have it all figured out "right now" because that will never happen.  There will always be some other step to take and some kind of decision to make.  

9.)  Let yourself be happy.  Recently I've realized how hard I can be on myself.  Yes, it's important to push yourself and to be driven to do great things with your life, but it is equally important to give yourself a break. 

10.) If you want people to be straight up with you, you have to be straight up with them!

11.) Be smart with your money.  I don't know how many people I have watched become bitter and miserable because of their money problems.  I know that it's a real issue and it can be tough out there, I get it... but work hard, set a budget and spend wisely.

12.) It's OK, not to be "busy" all the time.  Some of my favorite nights are spent ALONE on the couch catching up on my DVR.  [Bra-less of course.]

13.) I would be a mess without my faith in God and my Savior. [like, a nightmare.] I might not be the most righteous woman with all of the qualities the Priesthood holders in the church are looking for but I have a simple testimony that I would be lost without.

14.) Sometimes a girl just needs some popcorn or licorice, k?!

15.) I can do hard things.  I think that sometimes I don't give myself enough credit, but I look back at some of the things I have accomplished in my life and actually kind of amaze myself.  I just think it's so easy to get comfortable in a place in life that we forget that we should be pushing ourselves or we think that we can't do it because it's been so long that we've tried to shoot for something better for ourselves.  Really, we had the capability to do it all along, we just forgot!

16.) Write things down.  If your brain is anything like mine, then you forget some of the little details of things that happen in your life.  I find it fun to go through little notes in my journal (which is basically little pieces here and there because I was NOT good at a journal for very long) but especially on my blog.  Without it, I wouldn't remember details...and sometimes, the best moments are in the little details.

17.) Sometimes you lose and sometimes you lose some more.  Let's face it, we can go through some weeks, months or years where things just seem to keep going wrong.  It's never usually just one bad thing that happens..it comes in two's, three's or more.  But the best thing about it is knowing that things can't stay crappy forever.  It has to get better at some point.  I've learned that is what gets me through most of my "losing streaks."  "It has to get better!" So I just put on my work boot and (sometimes fake) smile and look forward to the morning when I can wake up and that other stuff just doesn't matter anymore.  

18.) To go along with 17.. just because you feel like you are losing, that doesn't mean you get to sit around and whine.  Sure, take time to cry/mourn or whatever you've got to do... but you still have to live your life because it won't get better until you are trying. So dust off and be sure to write down or take mental notes of the things you learned from it. Who knows, something like that could happen again, so while you're here on this Earth and already going through stuff, you might as well be learning the lessons God is wanting you to learn.. You know, in case you need it again ;) 

19.)  Life isn't all about who you're dating or whether or not you are "IN" love.  I love, love so don't tell me that I don't understand because I've never been in a real relationship.  I get it; Love is great. So if you are in love, I applaud you. But just because you are in love or married or in a relationship, that doesn't mean that everyone else who isn't is miserable.  {although, I know a lot of people who are.} Whatever your situation, just make the most out of it and don't assume that everyone wants the same things you do.

20.) Best Friends are people who stay in contact even when you are far away.  If you really care about someone, give them a call or send them a text every once and a while just to let them know that you are thinking about them.  Simply seeing their Facebook updates everyday doesn't count as "staying in contact."  Make an effort.

21.)  There's nothing like getting a real hand written letter/note.  I'm not kidding.  It's kind of a lost art and it makes me sad.  I think that's why I loved writing my missionary friends so much.  Yes, it takes more time then sending a text, email or tweet but a hand written note, letter or card is where it's at!  If I start doing that, don't think I'm weird, k?

22.) It's OK to admit that you have a problem and need help or someone to talk to. In fact, one of the best feelings in the world is having someone who knows you so well that even though you are smiling, they know something is wrong.  Find those people and keep them around!

23.) Never stop learning.  Last week I pulled up a placement test online that had some general math problems on them.  I knew most of them but I found myself going through some of the things and thinking "HOW did I graduate HS/College with almost a 4.0?" I kid you not.  I ended up staying up late working on them because I was so bugged that I had forgotten how to do some of those simple math problems.  It was ridiculous.  I always try to stay caught up on news and other pop culture things, but find something that you enjoy doing even when you aren't in school that keeps that brain going!  

24.) In the words of JB, "The grass aint always greener on the other side, it's green where you water it." hahaha. for real though.  Count your blessings and make the most out of what you have.  This is your life.  If you want something, work hard and make it happen! 

25.) You can't stop the fact that you are getting older by the minute.  Sure, you can get botox and any other surgery that will make you feel younger, but you're getting older all the time; Don't waste your time.  Work towards figuring out what you love and do it and above all, don't take for granted the time you have on this Earth and the people who are  here to share it with you.


Oh yeah, HBD to meeee :) Woo.Hoo.
As Neiko would say.. anyone wanna play Bingo and invest in a Jazzy?  *insert gma emoji*
I'm serious.  That happened on Twitter this morning.  

1 comment:

Savanna said...

Jenn... you are in one word amazing! You should submit this to a column or something! Love your face!