Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Don't make it Awkward

Guaranteed you've seen all of those "The awkward moment when" posts because heck, they are all over Facebook and Pinterest these days.  I can also guarantee that you've found yourself relating to one or two of them...

I like to use the saying "nothing is awkward unless you make it awkward."  Some people would disagree with that but believe me...I've been a lot of situations that, when closely examined, would be deemed ridiculously awkward, but for some reason I have this gift of turning things around in that exact moment of potential awkwardness. 

For example.

Sometimes my hands do really weird things without my brain's knowledge.  ie..playing with the padding on one of Victoria's Secrets (IF you know what I mean).  I don't mean anything by it.  honest.  It's like "hey, I'm bored. play the drums. whatev."  But uh. Not whatev when a guy friend catches you doing it for a split second in Walmart after midnight and calls you out on it... See.  Potentially awkward? Yes.  For me? Not so much.  I just turn it around on them and laugh. Like "uh. You'd play with it too if wore one."  I mean if you can get both parties to laugh about a situation that could be awkward then it automatically becomes un-awkward.  

Sometimes you can't help but feel a little funny and awkward in certain situations..I get that but here's  what I have to say about bringing awkwardness and not even trying to get rid of it.  Cut the crap.  Don't ignore people just because you think that it's going to be weird or act different because you're afraid you will do something wrong or say something stupid.  Just be yourself and don't worry what other people think.  If the person cares about you, they aren't going to deliberately make you feel uncomfortable and awkward.  

Whatever the situation is. accept it.  Shake it off. laugh about it.  don't make it awkward in any way. just...move on!




No comments: