There have been times in my life recently when I've questioned a lot of things. I've questioned where I'm supposed to be, if I'm doing all that I'm supposed to, what I believe, and questioned myself and where I am with life in general. One thing I will never question is that I am a daughter of a Heavenly Father who loves me very much. Even when I feel so messed up or let myself slack a little more than I'd ever like too, my Heavenly Father still sends me constant reminders of His love. He has put the most magnificent people in my life at the exact times that I need them. These people say the right things, they listen to me, they give me encouragement to push through and they love me no matter what. Sometimes I wonder why I deserve such wonderful people in my life but I am so thankful for each and every one of them and the examples they are to me to be a better person.
A friend told me last night that it's in the moments when we are trying to do better that Satan works harder on us. This person couldn't be more right. I may not always know what I'm doing and I know I don't always do the right things but I do know that when I am working on my relationship with my Heavenly Father and doing the things I'm supposed to be doing [going back to the basics] that I am so much happier and things seem to be a lot easier.
Today has been a long day of studying the scriptures, listening to my peers' testimonies, crying and praying a whole lot. Believe it or not, it's actually been a great Fast Sunday. Here's a message from Sister Elaine S. Dalton that I wanted to share:
I love how she said that when we are prepared, we can do hard things. Wow. I am so thankful for days like today when I am able to reevaluate my life, repent, and set goals to prioritize my life so that I can be prepared for when the hard times come...because we all know that they will come.
Goals I've set for myself (with the help of others):
Take things one step at a time
Don't just read the scriptures...STUDY them.
Pray more often. Sincerely.
Utilize the Priesthood.
Make time for myself to do the things that I love. {rediscover those things}
Love more.
Let others help me more often.
Don't be so hard on myself.
Keep the faith.
Progress.
I think the biggest thing that I've learned today is that you CAN get back to those times when you felt like you were the best and did most of the things you were supposed to be doing. You just have to work hard to keep your fire burning bright. We can't let ourselves get lazy. We have to keep a close eye on our flame so it doesn't dwindle and burn down to coals leaving us cold, in the dark, and miserable. As you go back to the basics..daily scripture study, morning and night prayers, magnifying your calling, going to your church meetings/activities, making institute a priority, setting an example for others, serving and living the gospel in general everyday...you will keep your fire burning bright.
If you're afraid you can't get that light back......just hold on. Work hard. It will come.
Can I just say that I love being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints :)
Well, I do.
4 comments:
This was a sweet post...I liked this:)
Sometimes I really wish blogs had "like" buttons too. Love it Jenn.
This was great! It's funny I feel the exact same way! Love you!
mmm... yes!!!
Post a Comment