Exhibit A:
OK, don't tell me I'm the only one who got a kick out of this pic? I can just see the Bun saying: "Doggggg--No Means No!"
Sometimes people don't pick up what you're putting down and you have no other choice but to stick out your hand and say "No! Can you not read the words coming out of my mouth?"
Even though we are taught from a young age about the importance of honesty, many of us as adults still are not always honest with ourselves and others when it counts. We think that if we just agree and "go with it," or if we don't bring something up or don't talk about it that no one gets hurt....
When did we start thinking that was how it works? Because it shouldn't be that way at all. That way mostly just sucks.
I think it's time to be honest when it counts [obviously there are tender moments with certain people that you have to appoach this in a different way. You'll know when that time comes.] You can be honest without being brutal. You can share how you feel about a situation without doing major damage to the other person. It's not hard--especially when they ask your opinion. What is hard is having to explain why you didn't tell how you truly felt from the beginng or having to live with the fact that you never said anything at all and just ignored the situation. Just because you ignore it, doesn't mean it goes away for the other person. So why not just save yourself and others from the awkward confrontation down the road of "Why didn't you just tell me that's how you felt in the first place!?'
Sincere honesty is showing how much you care for someone. I tell you the truth because I want you to know. It's refreshing for the giver and the receiver. My motto: If someone asks--tell. I might not always say it straight up but I will make sure it's clear. And then it's up to the other person how they take it.
If that approach doesn't work for you, and there may be times when it doesn't, you might have to do the "Bun" approach above and be like "Listen--I said NO. Get steppin'!'"
This doesn't just go for being honest about things that could be potentially hurtful to someone. It is also true with those good feelings you have about people but you never tell them. Umm... remind me again what good that is doing?
Honesty really is just love with its work boots on. You have to work at it...but it's worth it in the long run.
3 comments:
haha that picture is hilarious!!! :) and I TOTALLY agree with the blog post! That is why I always ask you important questions because I know you will always be 100% honest :)
Preach!
How long have you been this knowledgeable? You said it! Great picture. It says it all!
Post a Comment