Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

In my work world it's all about the calendar.  In fact, I always have at least 5 different monthly calendars hanging up around my desk.  With all the planning and organizing I do everyday you'd think I'd have a good grasp on what day it is and where we are in the year.  Nope.  I looked at my calendar yesterday and realized that we are almost mid month of JUNE.  I can't even believe it.  I feel like summer just started and it's going to be over before we know it.   

The crappy thing about growing up is that you really don't get to enjoy summer as much as you use to.  Yes, I highlighted my hair, busted out the shorts and have started shaving my legs {almost} every morning but those things alone make me seem old.  It's so annoying that I have to be working all day long while all the kids (college kids included) get to enjoy the warm sun.  WAH.  Ok, I'll stop complaining.  But I do love summer, I just can't believe how it's already flying by!  

I am excited that I get to go to DC/Maryland in a few weeks and that my parents are coming to town this Thursday night for a Father's day weekend visit.  Those little breaks help me keep my sanity.

You guys, things get crazy sometimes and I'm sure your life is probably even crazier than mine.  But excuse me while I talk about mine for a minute ;)

  This last weekend Cole's car wouldn't start.  Again.  To make it better, it happened on the morning when I left early for work and he had to be to his new job for a test.  Naturally.  Things are fine now, but I've realized that I've grown a lot in the last year/few months. I don't really cry as much or get as frazzled when things get a little hard and stressful and that's HUGE for me. Sure, it's because we've been through the ringer this last year with that brother of mine..So much, that we've learned that things always work out.  It might be annoying and hard getting to that point where you feel like things are "OK," but they always work out.

 I know people will say that it's not really me that's been through all the hard stuff, but those people are wrong.  With me, family is first.  Always has been, always will be.  So when family members go through something, I feel it probably more than I should.  It's my curse.  Whatever.  But poor Cole has just had crap after crap happen in the midst of a lot of good things too.  I mean, the kid is getting married to a great girl, he can't complain too much!  But it's enough to drive a person crazy and stress them out to the max.  But I want to give myself a blog applause this weekend for not overreacting (like I usually do) and for remaining cool and trying to come up with other solutions.  And to Cole as well for never giving up when things get hard.. even though I know that sometimes we both want too.  Honestly, it's in those moments where you think "Crap, what are we going to do now?" that something happens and the Lord shows us how blessed we really are.

Long story short, the POS car (that I won't curse because it's paid off and gets Cole to work for now) had a bad battery which I had just purchased not even a year ago so we were able to pick up a new one.  Yay for warranties.  And to top it all off, we figured out that the gas gage just doesn't work.  So, the poor little car just needed a new battery and some gas.  haha.  Dumb, right?  Well, we're just glad that's all it needed for now.  

I think I've learned in the last few months, more than anything else, is that the Lord gives us trials to push us and to prove what we're made of and how hard we are willing to work to get to where we want to be.  I've personally gone through some things in the last few months that have made 2013 already one of the hardest years, (spiritually/emotionally) BUT, i've learned that I'm not perfect, and that the Lord doesn't expect perfection.  He does, however, expect us to try.  So that's what Cole and I and the rest of our family have been doing.  We've just been trying to do our best and working together to support each other.

Some days super suck where you aren't sure how you're going to get to work that day because your car is crap (sorry cole) other days are just that "ugh, I'd rather be anywhere else than in temple prep with two disgusting engaged couples."  And other days, you're winning 60 bucks for guessing when your coworker's puppies are going to be born! haha I'm not even kidding, that really happened to me yesterday.

I guess what I'm saying is don't give up. No matter what kind of day it is.  On the days when your car doesn't start, realize how many good people you have in your life who are willing to drop everything to help you.  On the mediocre days, look for the good in that Temple Prep class.  Like how great the lesson was and why you are there.. even if you are surrounded with couple who make you want to vomit.  And on the great days... ugh, Jump for joy and do something nice for yourself or someone else.  Just look for the good (unlike everyone else on my Facebook feed who isn't getting married or having a baby. haha) 

Don't give up.

And especially, don't give up on people if they are trying.  I had a good talk with one of my friends last week about how sometimes people/things disappoint you but you have to just do what you can to be the better person, breathe and move on even if it hurts.  You might have days when you are really sad when you think about all that you used to have or "what could have been" but you can't dwell on those bad/sad things.  You have to remember the good and what you've learned from that life lesson because those good things are what keep you going and help you through whatever bad thing/trial/struggle you're going through.

Inhale the good.  Exhale the bad. (no but seriously, take a Jenn moment.  Lie on your back for 10 minutes, stare at the ceiling and take the deepest breaths you can! it will change your world, I promise.)

Just remember all the good things and good people you have in your life and carry on! It will get your through your hard days. I have to be reminded of this like, once a month (you know this if you've read all my blogs) but whatever, I'm human. You're human :)

In the midst of all the crap, life really is good...So don't let yourself miss out on it.

No comments: