Although, I agree with him 100% I can't help but think about some of the blessings in the midst of it all. Maybe that's just me trying to be optimistic in hopes that things will start looking up and calm down again. Because really, it can start to calm down any time now! I don't know. If you follow me on any social networking site you know that I had to make a little unexpected drive to Canada this week. Yeah, it happened...
Here's the shortened version: (yes, it's still long but it was CRAZY). So, Cole decided to come home a month early from his job up there installing security systems and his car broke down only an hour away from the border. After getting it towed to the nearest town of Fernie, BC and booking him a night in this crappy motel that still charged over $100 a night, we quickly found out his car was dunzo. gone. crapped out. That was monday morning. The rest of the afternoon on Monday was spent with Jamie, Mom and I calling each other over and over again trying to figure out a solution. We had to figure out how to get his car picked up for the junk yard as well as how to get him and ALL of his luggage home. It was basically a horrible day. I mean, it's a stressful situation anyways but add the whole "he's in another country" thing to a mix and it becomes a nightmare. Oh and work was beyond crazy and I missed Stephen R. Covey's memorial thing at work. BOO! anyways...
Of course he was in a crappy small town where the nearest greyhound station was a 30 minute walk from where he was. I know that doesn't seem TOO bad but when you have a set of golf clubs, 3 LARGE suitcases, a backpack, and tools with you, it basically makes it impossible to do. Not to mention, the bus route that we originally found online would take him 2 days and 8 hours to get home. Um, also a nightmare considering the drive in the car is only 11 hours. I know what you're thinking... what about a flight or a rental car? Yeah, no airport and no rentals that can leave the country and be returned to the states.
About 4 o'clock pm it was decided that because I was the only one with a passport, that I would need to drive up there and get him. Of course I offered. HELLO. 2 days on a greyhound with basically a car load of shiz that he'd have to some how lug around and get onto transfer busses? No. Not happening.
So, you guys.. I completed something off my bucket list on Monday! I've always wanted to go somewhere (a trip) where I just decide to go, pack a small bag and just leave that same day. Spontaneous. Of course, it would have been ideal if it was flying and to somewhere that I stayed for more than 3 hours, and for something that was fun or relaxing but whatever. It counts!
I grabbed my passport, packed a small bag, got in the car at 7 pm and drove through the entire night. I crossed the Canadian border and arrived to Cole about 5:30 am. British Columbia. WOOT WOOT. Thank you, Red Bull, iTunes and the GPS app on my phone for getting me there safely. I'm honestly, not sure how I did it without falling asleep.
You guys, Canada is beautiful! I wish I could have stayed for more than just the sunrise, breakfast, and a stop at the Canadian Superstore for chocolate ...but whatever...
Back to the whole blessings thing in the midst of all the craziness.. we are so lucky that I had those two extra days off that I had saved for Savanna's wedding when it was supposed to be in August. Without that, I wouldn't have been able to go. We're so lucky that the towing was as cheap as it was and that the mechanic didn't charge him to diagnose the car. Idk. It's just the little things. Sure, I was an emotional wreck on Monday because I REALLY didn't want to drive all the way to Canada by myself but at the end of the day, I would do anything for my family and the people I love.
On the bright side, too, We were able to drive straight back through Parma and see our Family!! So we stayed the night and got back to Utah Wednesday night. Yes, Cole is still without a car but I guess that we will work on that this weekend. (Pray for me) Like, I said, we are go-go-go around here. Hopefully I will catch a break sometime this weekend. I think I need some time to just "be." hahaha, these days, the thought of that is even a joke.
Really though, in the midst of all the craziness that you might have in your life right now, just count your blessings. That's what honestly keeps me going!
1 comment:
Jenn that is SO great!! I'm glad Cole and you are safe and had a little adventure in BC :) You're right though it's ALL about the little things in life! xoxo
Post a Comment