First impressions happen whether you like it or not. You meet someone new, you shake their hand, you introduce yourself and you form instant judgements or opinions on who [you think] that person "is." This doesn't mean that's really how the person is after you get to know them...but first impressions just happen.
If you say that you never judge (it doesn't have to be bad judging) then you're lying...or at least not telling the whole truth. I'll call you on that one. Not that I'm judging you for judging :) ok.. moving on.
In a YSA ward (Young Single Adults), "Judgement Day" is HUGE. You spend extra time getting ready because you know that the moment you walk into the room filled with completely new people that everyone, and I mean everyone, is starring you down and judging you even harder than they already do every other day. It could be your personal debut to a new ward, the first day of a new semester, or the first day for everyone in a newly organized ward. On Sunday, I experienced the latter and the inevitable judgement day took place.
On this day, you make your entrance and it's almost like you can't turn around with out Lacey Long-leg's eyes piercing your soul and picking you apart to make herself feel better. Or, even better, Rugged Randy sitting there and judging if you're gorgeous or righteous enough to take out on a first date that could potentially lead to marriage and being the mother of his children all based on his first impression of the clothes you are wearing and your sexy bod [or lack thereof]. blah blah blah.
You know how it is--the idea of it all is exhausting. But it just happens and for some reason, I love it. I love judgement day! Not because I know that people are judging me [i don't really care about that part] but because it's extremely comical and awkward and because you know that everyone is doing it. Maybe that's why people watching is on my list of "top things I like to do."
My favorite thing to do when people stare? --Stare right back and make them wonder how you are judging them as a person. It's fantastic. *insert evil laugh*
Did I make sure I looked my best? H-to yes. It's all part of the show.
I tried to keep my judgements to a minimum especially since I've been trying to work on it. But I'm going to declare "Judgement day" in a new ward as free day because you just can't control it--As long as you don't let your "first impression" judgements get in the way of really getting to know the person you are judging.
With that said, there were many things that went through my head on the first day in my new ward. Yes, the ward will take a while to get used too, especially since I don't know anyone and it's much different than my old ward. But it's a good size, has some older people in it (which will be a good change), It's not all girls, and there were some pretty good looking guys. Hallelujah. It's obviously got some potential so we'll stay positive:)
Real quick. Here are some of my [toned-down] thoughts.
To the group of guys sitting in front of me that was flicking the ear of the guy in front of them with a tongue compressor during the entire sacrament meeting--grow up. There is a time and a place.
Ummm..makeover time! Please? *said with a serving and thoughtful attitude* [i swear]
Actually. I'll stop there...before you think I'm a completely horrible person. Just add in a few "Who did better?" scenarios with some of the couples, a mental note of cute guys and interesting characters and a few "SERIOUSLY?" statements and I think we can call it a wrap.
Bless the Singles Ward! Bless it real good.

2 comments:
Hahaha its so true!! First impressions are a big deal in a new ward. lol. I'm kinda glad I didn't have to go through that junk again! I was so sad that you weren't there on Sunday with me! Love ya Frez!
You are crazy funny. Are you my daughter. The fact is...it's all true. Keep the 'UP' attitude!!
Post a Comment