Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Teens.

There are a few things that I don't quite understand about teenagers these days. Contrary to the belief of those who already consider me to be an "old hag," It really wasn't too many years ago that I was a teenager..so really, these teens have no excuse.

Recently, I received a new 14 (almost 15) year-old niece when my sister married her husband. This has been an adjustment. It's interesting because we like a lot of the same tv shows and well, I'm hip and cool and I know it so I try to help/tell her what is what! I think she appreciates it and we get along ....most of the time.

The biggest adjustment has been being sensitive to her feelings and what she is going through and being super patient. I have to tell myself, "I'm sure you were like this when you were in high school.." but sometimes I can't help it... But I guess times really have changed. These are some of the things I've noticed while interacting with these teens over the past few months:

1.) they are super awkward.
2.) they will straight up tell/ask each other anything over the phone via text. "Do you like me?" or "I like you." ...It's freakin' weird but in the end, kind of makes sense?
3.) they hate everyone. They jump from different small groups of friends all the time because there are "so many reasons" to hate each other. I swear the root of their little fights are over facebook and text. They probably don't even remember why they even hate each other...they just do.
4.) They don't really respect people my age..
5.)everything's dramatic (ok, that's not just teens)
6.) I found out that some think that Elvis was famous in the early 1900's.. OMG. REALLY? I about died when I heard that one.

...OK, so I know these don't apply to all teens but this has been my recent experience. Don't worry, I'm learning my patience. But this whole skipping to being an aunt to a teen thing is crazy but actually pretty fun in the end. I like gossip and awkwardness so.... Sure, why not!? But I am determined to not let my niece be the awkward one. (Don't tell her dad, but the main reason why her and her little crush talk on the phone now and have their little thing is because of a few tips I gave her. hahaha, like I'm experienced or something.. really I just straight up told her...don't be awkward!) She will be popular and gosh darn it, she'll know her music outside of Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga.... I'm going to start on that one tomorrow..Music Intervention.

2 comments:

Betsy Goodman said...

First: Love the new background! esp. the halloween witch! Second: Music Intervention...Brilliant! You're probably the coolest aunt ever! Third: Basically I'm a little in love with your blog and you! Miss you!

Savanna said...

Pretty sure I wished to have an aunt to tell me not be awkward and no to be in love with Backstreet Boys or 'NYSNC... bless your soul!