Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!!

I haven't posted for a little while, but I'm being honest when I say that not a whole lot has happened in the last few days.  My life isn't THAT exciting, you know :)

But you know what is exciting?  New Years.  I've decided that I love the Holiday.  There is just something about having a day where we collectively decide that we get a "fresh start" and a day to decide to make goals (once again) to become better than we were in the previous year.. If you had a crappy 2012 you can reflect on all of the things you went through and what you learned and you get to try to move on!  It's just filled with so much positive energy and I love it. :)

Last year, around this time, I couldn't get over all the things that had happened to me and things I did; I had so much fun, met some great people and changed a lot.  This year, as I was trying to think about "the best and worst thing that happened to me in 2012," I really couldn't come up with much. Nothing really exciting at least... and that made me a little sad.

But as I went through today (don't judge..I know I'm writing this at 3 AM on New Year's day.. but to me it's still NYE)..anyways, I decided that I wasn't going to let any of that bother me.  I've been in a funk, and rightfully so I think.  I've been so stressed out the last few months with multiple things but especially as I've watched my brother go through a pretty rough patch that it's just seemed like so many things had gone wrong and I just can't seem to catch a break.

.. BUT on my late night drive home from celebrating the New Year I just had this overwhelming feeling that it's OK that nothing "huge" happened to me this year.  Sometimes we just set really high expectations for what our life should be like...usually based on what the world says is "success" or "happiness".  And quite frankly, it's all a bunch of bull.  I might not have the most interesting job, make the most money, have a boy friend or even gone on a date last year (minus that one blind date), and heck, I might not even know where I see myself in the next 5 years or in 4 months for that matter... But I'm happy and I'm just trying to take things one step at a time.

I will just say that in 2012 I might not have made all of the best choices, and I'm working on that but just because you get older, it doesn't mean that choices get easier.  Satan's been throwing some interesting things at me lately and my brain is just trying to work through it all.  But honestly, I'm overwhelmed with gratitude for the people and support I've had through this last year...Especially for my Family.   As our family has gotten bigger, and we've gotten older, our love and support for each other has grown even more; It's amazing.  Watching that all grow has been a highlight of 2012 for sure.

So for my goals for the New Year, they are to 1) Learn to trust my gut. 2.) Start making healthier choices than I did in 2012...even if it's small.  ie--Get to bed a little earlier (I'll start tomorrow ;)), eat a little better, exercise a little more. [after this crappy year, it shouldn't be too hard] and 3)...Make Time.  This is my main goal.  I think my biggest problem this year has been letting unimportant things get in the way of things that are truly important.  ie--scripture reading/prayer before I check my insta, FB and twitter...also, making more time for people who are important to me and making more time for myself and figuring out what I want for ME.

It's simple really.  I'm just glad I was able to ring in the New Year with Easton, Sam, Cole and Kiersten.  It was the most chill New Years Eve ever.  We each picked what we would want for our last meal in 2012 (Kier and I got Chinese, the boys got Pizza from the Pie) we took it to Easton's and watched the special NYE festivities on MTV, we lit fireworks, we killed zombies, we drove around..a lot..ran into some old friends, almost died from a few fireworks...and just laughed and had a good time. I can't remember a more chill NYE filled without expecations and just a fun activity that I didn't have to plan at all.  MIRACLE.

All in all I think it was a perfect way to ring in 2013...Chill and with great friends.
I feel some big changes this year and I've decided that I'm OK with that.

Dear 2013....Let's see what you got!
Come at me, bro.

1 comment:

Savanna said...

Dear Jenn... this is exactly my 2010 recap, and in 2011 my life changed dramatically! I have a gut feeling that yours will be the same! It's your turn, I feel it! Love your face!!