Pages

Friday, December 14, 2012

An early New Year's post.

I was going through my notes on my iPhone the other day and came across one that I wrote down while watching one of my super sad episodes of Grey's Anatomy.  You know, back before Mark died.  Anyways, he said:



"If you love someone, you tell them.  Even if you're scared that it's not the right thing, even if you're scared it will cause problems, even if you're scared it will burn your life to the ground, you say it and you say it loud.  And then you go from there."
-Mark, Grey's Anatomy

*SWOON* 

I've been meaning to put this into a post for a while now.  Not because I'm IN love with anyone but because I've been thinking a lot about regrets ever since President Uchtdorf gave his talk during conference in October called "Of Regrets and Resolutions."   In the talk he said, 


"When we are young, it seems that we will live forever.  We think there is a limitless supply of sunrises waiting just beyond the horizon, and the future looks to us like an unbroken road stretching endlessly before us.  
However, the older we get, the more we tend to look back and marvel at how short the road really is.  We wonder how the years could have passed so quickly.  And we begin to think about the choices we made and the things we have done.  In the process, we remember the sweet moments that give warmth to our souls and joy to our hearts. 
 But we also remember the regrets--
the things we wish we could go back and change."
-Dieter F. Uchtdorf
Second Counselor in the First Presidency



With everything that happened this morning with the shooting at the Elementary School in Newtown, CT. I just can't help but be reminded even more about how short and precious life really is and can't help but take a look at my life and evaluate how I'm doing.

...I used to have a fear of regrets, which, I think is normal for most people at some point in their lives.  No one wants to go through life with thoughts of "I wish I would have just told [so and so] how I feel" or "I wish I would have done [this or that]."  The reason is obvious.  For me, it's like when someone knows a secret about you and they dangle it in front of your face but no matter how many times you ask them to tell you, they won't.  When that happens, we want to know what the secret is so badly because the mystery behind it all is so... enticing/terrible and unfair!  It's like, they know this story/secret or whatever about you but they are taking it to the grave for you to never find out.  Then of course you sit there and wonder what it could be about.. man, it's enough to drive you nuts because you just want to know! There is that same kind of mystery with regrets, I think.  No matter how long we sit and think about what COULD have been if we'd just said or did that one thing, we'll never really know.  It's always just left up to our imagination and assumptions which can be really damaging.  Especially when we go through a rough patch in life because we can beat ourselves up about things that we did or didn't do in the past because our lives as we know it COULD have been so much better.. even though you don't really know that..

I digress.

My friends, THAT is why it's so important to open your mouth and say the things you're scared to say or do those hard things that you want to do in your life even if it means you'll have to step out of your comfort zone or that it will change your life as you know it.  You do it, because you don't want to live your life based on "what-if's" and wasted time.

I understand Mark from Grey's is just a character in a TV show (haha), but, I love how he said that whatever it is you need to say, you say it and you say it loud and then... 
you just go from there.  

Earlier this week I reflected on a personal experience from a couple of years ago where I took a really big risk and let one of my best friends know some pretty huge things that had been weighing on my mind.  I knew that if I didn't say anything that I would keep living life based on what-if's.  That was the last thing I wanted.  At the time I was scared and I really did feel like my life would burn to the ground and, to be honest,  my life as I knew it at that moment changed a whole lot.  But in the end it was SO good.   The best thing about it all was that I had an end to that story.  I put it to rest and was able to move on knowing that I had said ALL the things that I needed to say and would never have to look back or wonder what could have been if I wouldn't have been so chicken.  I took a risk and I haven't been the same person since..and I mean that in the best way possible.

 As the New Year approaches we are given a special time to reflect on all the things we are grateful for and are able to make goals for changes we hope to be able to make in our lives.  If there is ANYTHING that came to your mind while reading this about things you wish you could do or say, no matter what it is, please make that a goal as you think about your New Year's resolutions.  

Life passes us by so quickly... maybe we don't get all the endings that we want at the time, but in the end there are no regrets when we give it our all and try.


---------
Even if you aren't IN love like Mark was with Lexie *TEAR* make a special effort today to tell the people you care about how much you love them.

Thoughts and prayers for the people of Newtown, CT.