Finally saw Eat, Pray, Love tonight. I knew it was going to be an inspiring one.
I wouldn't necessarily say that I really believe in the importance of the whole going on a "spiritual journey" or taking time out to "find yourself." BUT I am a firm believer that everyone needs to know who they are and what they stand for. So if that means you have to pick up everything and get out for a while then I'm all for it. It's important that we work towards becoming our best self. And honestly, I would LOVE to do everything that Julia did in the movie....
We've all felt like we weren't going in the right direction before and because we are all so unique we experience this in completely different ways. The whole time I was watching the movie I kept thinking about the fact that I've graduated from college and moved straight into this new place where I don't know anyone and I've gone straight into a job that I really do enjoy (no matter how stressful it is right now) But I can't help but think, Did I leave anytime to travel and see the world? Am I settling for safe when I know that I meant for something great? Do I like the road I'm heading down?
Anyone who knows me will agree that I'm a little on the obsessive compulsive side when it comes down to a lot of things. Trust me, I don't necessarily like this annoying trait about myself but the fact of the matter is that I am who I am.
There's a part at the beginning of the movie where Julia is in Rome with a new group of friends and they talk about how each city can be described with one obvious word. Julia is then asked what she believes her word is. This would be a word that really describes you and your life.
It's possibly that this hit me so hard because I was faced with this yesterday at work as I was trying to answer the question, "what do you enjoy in your spare time?" I spent a good 30 minutes worried about the picture I was going to submit (had to look good since it was going out to ALL Franklin Covey employees) and the one sentence I was going to use that described Jennifer Hansen. I knew that it had to be good because I wanted everyone to take me seriously as their meeting planner. I honestly don't know why I was so worried about it and why I had such a hard time doing it.
Then came the part of the movie when someone said "Maybe you're a woman in search of your word..." I really feel like that is the stage that I am at in my life. I know that I am a daughter of God and that I have great potential. But I think that I'm still searching for my word. I don't think that I have to drop everything and take a trip by myself to Rome, India and Bali for a year to figure it out (as much as I would LOVE that) but I know that there are so many different adventures to be had in my life as I try to figure out my "word."
I don't know if that make sense when I type it out but it makes sense to me... Oh and I even tried to do the whole "Silence" thing where you take the peaceful route of just being and not talking.. every thing is supposed to be calm. Well, I lasted about 5 minutes. I would have lasted longer but Jamie threatened to throw my BlackBerry out the window. This just proves that so many people get wrapped up in material things and virtual relationships(I'm one of the worst) that we forget to open up our pretty little eyes and pay attention to the things that really matter. This has really been bothering me about myself and it's totally time for a change. I think I'm really going to start meditating or something. I need it. There's too much crap that goes on up in my brain.. It would be beneficial for me I think.
This was a random post but for some reason I can't wrap up how mind blowing this was for me...
EAT, PRAY, LOVE
No comments:
Post a Comment