Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

oh hey

It's been a week or so and the thought of blogging about my uneventful life right now seems kind of boring.  I'm not complaining though, sometimes boring is good.  Boring usually means that nothing bad is happening, right? Maybe not. I guess it just seems pathetic when it comes to writing about it. So do you want the real talk session about how everything's been this last week? I mean, aside from General Conference, which was amazing?

Here you go:

1) At work a few weeks ago we each were each gifted a Fitbit which is this little device that tracks your steps, calories burnt, and sleep each day.  Great right?  Well, if we choose to, we can be part of a team score board that shows all your steps each day along with the records of everyone else.  Nightmare.  Basically they just want us to be more aware of how much we sit in a day and they turned it into a little competition.  Well, thank you FranklinCovey for making me feel guilty for the desk job you've provided me with...

The fitbit works.  I now spend most of my nights watching my TV shows and doing ridiculous steps and exercises in front of the TV or feeling bad when I'm not up and moving.  It's pathetic.  Guess who didn't wear hers at all this weekend because of General conference though?  This girl.  "Opps. I forgot" was really just my way of saying "Yeah, like I really was going to have time to work out or walk around town while I watch all these talks.  Get real."

2) Living alone, even though I only have to do it for 2 more weeks, is hard.  Parts of me love it.  The parts where I can lounge around in whatever I want and essentially do what I want when I want REALLY loves it.  What I don't love is realizing that the only time talk at home is when I'm on the phone, have someone over, or when I accidentally talk out loud to myself (sadly, the talking to myself started happening more than I'd like to admit.)  Again, pathetic.  Also, I've realized that I feel kind of awkward when I laugh out loud over a TV show and no one else is there to join in.  This shouldn't be an issue but I find it a little embarrassing.

3.) I found myself early Sunday morning ugly crying to a 30 minute video (that I watched from start to finish) about that guy who proposed to his fiance and surprised her with a wedding in Miami that same day based on all the stuff she pinned on her wedding pinterest board.  When I said ugly crying, I meant ugggglly crying.  I shouldn't be surprised though.. my life the night before was right out of a scene from a movie where I pathetically watched "Valentine's Day" on TV and accidentally ate three too many chocolate chip cookies.  Yes, I know that Valentine's day is possibly one of the worst chick flicks and I was crying out loud to the ending...over it. Oh and for, in that same night, reading all 157 comments on a blog post from "The Weed" (a gay Mormon blogger, who's sealed in the temple to a women).. it's whatever.  I really should get points for noticing what I was doing and for getting up and doing jumping jacks and other active things to get me to snap out of it.   Kier told me it wasn't healthy but I've decided that Saturday night-Sunday morning was a teensy-weensy low point.  

I'm convinced we all need one of those nights from time to time.  It's alllllll goooood :) 

4.)  General Conference--Ok, I guess this deserves a bullet point from the week because it was the best thing that happened.  I'm always amazed at the things I learn every time I watch general conference or read the talks later down the road.  I wrote down so many great things that I learned. I think the biggest thing that was testified to me is that I am a daughter of my Heavenly Father and he loves me.. no matter what.  I've always known this but I think sometimes we mess up or we get lost for a bit and we think that we aren't as deserving but I know that God's love is always there. Life will get hard but as the Prophet, Thomas S. Monson advised us that we should endure through the sunshine and the sorrow.  Along with that, one of my favorite quotes from the conference was from Elder Holland who said "If the bitter cup does not pass, drink it up and be strong."  Life will get hard sometimes and we will have trials that we feel no one else will understand.. but the Savior does.  He's cheering for us and wants us to learn and grow from our trials.  All he asks us to do is to work hard, keep enduring and include him in everything we do.  You need a quote from a non LDS member too that will back it up?  Thank you Ms. Kelly Clarkson.. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" :) 

Don't give up.

5.) Oh yeah, Amanda and I turned in our deposit for our apartment we're moving into on the 19th! I seriously can't believe that's next weekend. I need to start cleaning and getting ready! We decided to stay in Layton and we got a 3 bedroom two bathroom apartment that's super spacious.  We're both in spots in our lives where we need a change and for me, the saving money part is an exciting factor. This is going to be good;  It has to.  We want to find a third roommate to make rent even cheaper.  The only problem is that we don't really have any girl friends around here...haha.  Meh.  For some reason we feel good about finding someone.  Stay tuned for updates on that adventure.

6.) I guess the main reason why it's seemed uneventful this week is the whole government shut down.  It's the pits.  I never realized but Jamie, James, Coleman and I all work jobs that have to do with the government.  My job isn't a government job but I work on the Government Team with FranklinCovey where I plan all the training seminars on the east side of the country for the Veterans Administration.  Jamie and James work for the VA and as of tomorrow Jamie will be staying at home until this shut down is over.  James gets to go into work but won't be paid for it until the shut down is over.  It's kind of a crappy situation for both of them.  Cole works on Hill Airforce Base as a general maintenance dude but because he's contracted he's fine.  For me...?  No VA workers means no events right now.  Luckily we're locked into a contact so we're fine but it's sure made for an interesting couple of weeks here at work.  Honestly, there's only so many times you can check the news, facebook, pinterest and buzzfeed before you want to poke your eyeballs out.  OK, that was dramatic.  But really.. today my most exciting thing was buying three rolls of washi tape on Etsy. haha  It will get better..we just have to be here and deal with some slow boring days until the shut down is over.

Oh how bitter sweet it is working with the government :) 

That's the update.  Things should get exciting here soon with the new apartment and my favorite holiday right around the corner!  Fingers crossed.  

Boring or not.. Life is good :) 


No comments: