Pages

Monday, November 18, 2013

The Low Down

I’ve been thinking quite a bit lately of what I should update about.  Lately I've been going back and reading old posts and I’m reminded about how much I love that I occasionally write stuff down.  I can just go back and see exactly what I was doing two years ago and how much I’ve grown (or haven’t grown)..it’s great!

Let me just give you a little update (at random) of what's been going on, what I love, what I'm looking forward too, and probably what I hate :

I’m loving that it’s already the holiday season. I feel like that's the only thing on my mind right now.  The holiday season, shopping, days off from work,how much I'm dreading drying in the snow, Parenthood (my recent series relapse) and my birthday.  Such a magical time!

I hate that Jamie and her family won’t be here for Christmas and that I will miss Mason see Santa.  I was there both of the other times and it was the cutest thing.  Of course I'm going to miss the year when he actually gets it and loves Santa.  Right now he points to things that he wants and says “Santa does” meaning that he really wants Santa to bring him that toy.  We’ve started doing that here in Utah too.  For example, every new Home Décor item from Target? “Santa DOES!”.... but really. Kier would agree with me.

I’ve come to terms that I’m turning 26 and I actually don’t feel too bad about it. Honestly, the only thing I hate is that I will no longer have double insurance.  I mostly just hate it because my dental will probably suck now.  I’ve been really luck the last two years, though.  I’ve had a million things wrong with my teeth and haven’t had to pay anything out of pocket.  Blessings.  I just hope it’s all in check now like the doc says.  If not, I’d contemplating pulling them all out and getting dentures like my old coworker Jim at Rocky Mountain Fireworks and Fur Co.  I would totally play it off cool like he did too. Like, gum-it while talking to random strangers and drinking my liquor from my “coffee mug.” Ok, ok. Minus the liquor part.  But I feel like it would be a good time.  I just wouldn’t be able to look at myself in the mirror.  OK, yeah let’s just pray the dentist got it under control like he says.

Cole, Kier and I get to head home in 9 days to spend Thanksgiving with the family. The only good thing about Cole’s birthday falling on Thanksgiving and mine on Black Friday is that I get to do whatever I want on those days and get paid for it .  I do love that.  It will be a little weird this year though because our Aunt and Uncle will be here from California and we’re eating Thanksgiving dinner (lunch actually because we all know that all the sales start at 6:00 pm Thanksgiving night this year) over at my Uncle Gary and Aunt Cindy’s house with all of their kids and grand kids.  I love them the most and It will be great but there will always just be something about having Thanksgiving at Grandma’s house that I will miss.  We haven’t really followed tradition as much on either side of the family for the Holiday’s since both of my grandpas passed away.  I guess it’s also because people have grown up, moved away, and had a crap ton of kids too… and then there’s me.  Single me. ( Haha.  Classic.)  We make it work.  I guess the important thing is that you get to spend time with people you love and I do love our family.  I’m just glad that I get to be grandma’s helping to make the stuffing.. That’s always been my job and always will be!  I just need to do a better job of paying special attention to little details. Grandma is healthy and takes good care of herself but you just never know when a holiday will be the last one to spend with any loved one.  I need to document it better because it will always be one of my top favorite memories of my Grandma Hansen!


I’m pretty much already done with my Christmas shopping. You can applaud me if you want.  I guess that’s just one of the best parts of having a smaller family.. Christmas shopping is a breeze!  I do have to ship pretty much all of it to Maryland (BOOOO. jk Jamie) so it's a good thing that I got a jump start on the holiday shopping anyways.  Boy, I just wish we could all be together.  But we can’t and it’s OK.  Maybe next year.   This will be the first year that it’s just me  and the folks on Christmas morning.  That will be a little weird but I think we’re going to do half of it when Cole and Kier get there the day or two after Christmas.  It will be good! I’m just glad everyone’s time off is working for the holiday’s so they can come home for Thanksgiving AND Christmas!  I'm really just getting excited for some times off from work and to be able to spend time with some of my family.

It snowed on Saturday and Cole and I decided to get up and go to Breakfast and do some Christmas shopping. I'm not a fan of snow but it did start making it feel like the holidays while we were out shopping.  Oh, I love that brother of mine.  We had a couple of tender moments this week where we reflected living together for two years and how even though times were hard for both of us, that we wouldn't change the time that we had together for anything.  It was precious.  Honestly, the older I get the more I appreciate my siblings and how close we are and the time we get to spend together.  Even though Cole is married now, he still makes time for me and I really appreciate that.  He's grown up so much and I love him dearly.  I don't know how my parents did it but they did a good job of raising us all to be best friends.  I always complained about being the middle child growing up but I wouldn't have it any other way.  I'm right smack dab in the middle and have been able to get closer to each of them at different parts my life.  
Jamie and Cole--I love you!

Oh, and remember when Mason was a Turkey for Halloween last year?! Here's a pic to get you in the spirit and mood for next week:


gobble, gobble!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the low down! By the way, I don't know what we have done, but I'm so grateful that the 3 kids we have, love and enjoy each other. That means so much to me!