This weekend I attended the funeral of my friend's brother who passed away while on his mission in Guam from head injury after falling from a tree. I haven't been able to stop thinking about how precious and short our time on Earth is.
Funerals make me sad, that is true, but they also always make me want to be a better person. I didn't know Miller but what I do know is that I'm so grateful to have the Gospel and knowledge I have about why we are here and where we are going. Death scares me a little but only because I don't like the idea of being left behind or without people I care so deeply about. But I'm fortunate enough to know that when our life ends on this Earth, it is not the end.
The messages that were shared at the funeral were just a good reminder of what we believe and why we do the things that we do. I'm not perfect, and I mess up more times than I'd like to admit. But I know that my worth is not measured by the mistakes I've made. All I know is that I want to be the person who lives life to the fullest, who is happy, caring, kind, forgiving and who chooses the right and loves others even when people are hard to love. I want to be and do those things because I love my Savior and because I'm striving to return back to Him and to be with my Family who I know are more righteous than me (haha jk but really.. I know I need to step it up)
I know that I won't be perfect at it and that I will continue to make dumb mistakes but I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who never gives up on me and never ceases to make me feel loved. He's surrounded me with amazing people who I don't want to think about my life on Earth without... I'm just glad I know why I'm here and I know what I'm working toward.
Sure, we get lost sometimes and we forget what we're supposed to be doing and what really matters, but I know that God understands and that He only asks us to try. I guess we just start by evaluating ourselves and trying to be a little better than we were the day before. If you don't know why you're here and what you're working toward or if you get lost along the way... figure it out. Set goals, find God (have Faith), rely on Him, cherish time with the people you love, and find out what makes you happy. I know that my days and weeks go better when I'm focusing on the things that matter and not just wishing time away. Yes, I've been guilty on multiple occasions in my life to doing the opposite of all of those things. We sometimes just need sucky reminders to get us back on track.
Oh Life :)
I truly believe that we chose to come here and that we knew what we were getting ourselves into. Prove it to your pre-mortal self that you can do all the hard things you knew might come your way;) ....Weird. I just thought of it that way and I realized that I have a lot of work to do.
haha. wow.
Keep the Faith!
1 comment:
Thanks for reminding me to be grateful for all that I have. A wonderful family and lots of friends. Especially the gospel that helps us to get through this hard, difficult, wonderful life! A quote that was mentioned in our March visit teaching message that as long as "we choose to try" to live a good life and do the things we know to be true and right, we can be a light to others! Comforting! We love you!
Post a Comment